ORB OF PYRITUS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

1. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Sorry for double post, and that's what i was wondering.

2. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

I wouldn't mind working out a short dialogue over PM, after we are rid of the snake of course. Since both of our characters are equally lost, it will be great to work out where to go next.

3. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Sorry for interrupting your plans. I wanted to get Altas in on the fray, instead of creating a new monster to fight.

Feel free to send a PM anytime you see fit.

EDIT: Also, Langer is dead. There are many Player Characters, and I didn't want to make it even more crowded with an NPC. He exists solely to give Atlas extra ammunition, supplies, and an FGM Javelin.

4. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Another thought, I prefer 3rd person limited for narration. It looks like we are all doing the same thing minus one or two discrepencies. Are we all going to stick to writing in the 3rd person with only the limited information of our individual characters? I'd hate to swap over to a narrative that starts explaining what a gun is and why my character wouldn't recognize it or something similar. Or that this snake beast was a monster sent by a summoner when my character obviously doesn't have that information at all.

5. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I think its best if we keep things as they are otherwise it will lose its how I can 'oomph', A lot of my characters thoughts will be expressed through italics, along with Blade Edge who will talk in the Magnan's now and then. Oh and Magnafire talks out loud at times, when he and his sword a conversing.

6. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Alright this is looking good!

But yeah limited narrative seems to be the best idea. Only write about what your characters knows, sees, hears, etc.

7. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Ahh once again i think-write that means I'm prone missing words out, I meant how can I say.

8. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

I agree with the above statements about the point of view - it's a lot more fun if we're in the dark sometimes. Keeping it limited will leave many opportunities for plot twists.

I will post again later today in reply to Magnan, so we can finish our fight with the dragon and move on to the main event - figuring out where it came from.

Also, naturemage, is the village that your character sees the same one that Magnan and I are fighting the dragon in? Just for clarification.

9. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I look forward to your response. Although if this is Skyrim we landed in, then dragons pop up from nowhere.... anyways back on task.

10. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

@areandrill You introduce plenty of termonology, but I didn't see this one in your character bio

"Jor'reda is the sword, "gharr'fash" is the ore, "Gharr'Tash is the school.
    Since your character's name is Faramar I only have a few guesses as to what or who "Jor'Tash" is.
    Is it a title? for instructors at the school? Is it a character not mentioned being told to wake up? Or is someone yelling at the sword to wake up?
    Don't mind me. It's a stylish introduction, But I was lost on its implications.

11. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I think Jor'tash is his title

12. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

And the 24 hours without sleep is starting to catch up to me. My eyes must be glazing over. Thanks.

13. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Sorry for my newest post being so long.

Cue the dragon!

14. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

In case anyone's wondering, CCheese and I decided to collaborate over PM. We exchanged ideas, and talked in more detail over a character's individual backgrounds. Full permission was given for changing my character's outfit, the dialogue, and the actions. I don't know if it will work for other players, but that's how we decided to tackle the interaction. And HE tactfully moved the focus away from our exchange. On with the Dragon Slaying.

15. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

losthawken and GaleSkies pretty much clarified the situation, but I feel I should explain:
    Jor-peace
    tash-world
    Gharr-invincible
    Reda-striker
    fash-ore
    So Faramar's "title" as they said is "Peace World", as he is the keeper of peace in Gharr'tash.
    Sorry if that's complicated, I pretty much pulled it out of my a** :p

16. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Holy Crap. First off you guys have blown me away with your enthusiasm and creativity (not to mention sheer number of players). I never expected this.

@Exclusive; I have to reign in on the OOC content and point system. RPG's here run a little differently, depending on teamwork toward story writing and moderation rather than point systems. The intentions and benefits awarded by the sword should be advertised here in the discussion thread, not in the game.

In addition to enforcing the rules I am also going to be giving routine 'props' to players with excellent posts (and I encourage you to praise each other according to your preferences as well).

Today's kudo's go to Cheddarcheese and Galeskies! I particularly really liked how Cheddar cleverly interjected his character into the middle of Galeskies scene. Well done!

Now I've got to go figure out what I'm going to do next in this game...

17. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Thanks a bunch!

I'm looking forward to what Magnalian will come up with next. This is real fun.

18. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Hey, I got some feedback from my first post saying that it was unclear that the monster Faramar encounters is indeed the "mountain"
    I refer to when I wrote:

"... up in the horizon and he could make out a mountain far off to the east.
    «A mountain? There are no mountains around this land.» He stopped and flapped his wings, not moving from place, glaring at the large colossus that was in front of him. The colossus looked back."

What do you guys think? Is it hard to understand?

19. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

By the way I've held from posting because I'm waiting/hoping for someone to hop in my scene. But it seems I'm bound to be alone forever so I'll continue the fight tomorrow if no one feels like jumping in and meeting Igor.

EDIT: Me and Areadrill / Faramar are collaborating.

20. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Finally got my next post up...school really takes up a ton of time.

I hope that no one is upset or annoyed that I finished off the dragon. It just seemed to be already weakened, and it felt like a good opportunity to show a more aggressive, almost sadistic, side of Riley.

Hoping that we can begin to bring the characters together, whether it's in companionship or conflict. I'm curious to keep pursuing this goal of figuring out where the beasts are coming from. As we know, they're from the Summoner himself, but I'd like to figure out how the characters would deal with this information.

21. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

@Backbiter: I didn't expect the dragon would still be alive when Atlas got there. That was a pretty epic finisher. I almost expected you to absorb its soul or something. [/Skyrimreference]

As for the current setting, it appears that there are two settlements: The village attacked by the Dragon, and the one Igor is currently in. Since I doubt Igor would have stood around and watched as a dragon trampled a village, it leads me to conclude there are at least two separate villages, perhaps on opposite ends of the farm. Riley and Magnafire are currently in village 1, which is also being approached by Atlas and Pyree. Igor and Faramar seem to be in village 2. The location Thatratar and Eslana seem to be debatable.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

22. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Gah! So much going on! I'm going to try to enter my character Grudel into the story soon, I haven't found any time lately! Hope I don't come in too late.

23. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Thanks for the compliment, Cheddar, it's much appreciated! And I suppose the whole dragon idea was somewhat Skyrim-inspired in the first place - though I do love a classic dragon fight anyways. Also, your comments about the setting sound accurate.

EDIT: It's never too late, Cerrus! Hop on in whenever you feel like it.

24. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

It's never too late to join the show. The Ol' wizard doesn't know how many portals are lurking about. Looking forward to the addition.

25. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Lol... sorry about my next post Areadrill. Trying to interact with someone.