1. Iulia

Iulia New Member

A rediculous writing course.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Iulia, Feb 20, 2008.

My medival writing course has a lot of rediculous assignments - and now we finally got a good one that accually uses a little creativity. The thing is, we're still FAR from freestyle, and I really don't want a bad grade. I need a problem (not too hard) and a moral or lesson (not horribly hard, either). I can handle the rest (which is like, 10 rules, but I'll cope). But for some reason, I can't think of any of these! If you have a loose idea I could ask for, please post here. Much appreciated,
    -Iulia

2. LinRobinson

LinRobinson Banned

I think there's an answer for you if you take a deep breath and word your question more carefully to explain what it is you need.

3. Iulia

Iulia New Member

I wondered if I needed more explaining. Then I said "Naaaaahhh". I guess I do. *sigh*. What I've got so far is that a prince and a peasant are friends. They're friends because a humble nobleman introduces them. The nobleman has a more proud friend. They live in England, while both the prince and the peasant live in Roman Italy. The noblemen come for a visit and a plot unfolds. It's not much, but I have a week. I can't make it too long. The last few short stories I attempted became novels. Anyway . . . that's all. Sorry this entire post sucks. I'm kind of drained for creativity.
    "explain what it is you need."
    I need a problem.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

The noblemen come for a visit, and then all of them go out into the backyard of the villa for a little sport shooting. They accidentally gun down one of the hired servants, and they have to get rid of the body. Or, if they don't have guns, they kill the servant with a bow and arrow. Then, as their poorly conceived scheme to hide the body is uncovered by a local law enforcement official, they get in trouble so that your story has a moral.

5. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

You're designing the piece to reflect the period accurately? If you want accuracy, I can't see a prince and peasant being friends. However, if you're not going for accuracy, then I wouldn't worry about it. (I'm not stating these as facts, just my opinion. Someone else can comment if it's believeable to others.)

On the accuracy point, would a storyline dealing with incest or backstabbing not be possible? Or even, just the prince sleeping around behind his fathers back or something with his queen.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, that sounds like a good basis for conflict. A friendship that crosses social strata, that the prince cannot afford to be seen in, can create a wonderful moral dilemna for him. Should he protect the image of the royal family (which is more than just a matter of saving face personally), or should he honor the friendship?

7. Iulia

Iulia New Member

8. Iulia

Iulia New Member

Thanks everyone, I have an outline figured out. I am eternally gratefull.

9. writiki

writiki New Member

The peasant should take the moral high ground in this tale, thus creating a problem for the noble and prince and creating conflict (with a moral that status does not equal correctness!).