1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Original / Modern Poetry?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by OurJud, Aug 8, 2018.

What would be the definition of modern poetry, in terms of style? Subject matter may define it, of course, but it may still be written in iambic pentameter, whatever the poem's about.

I've been reading up on the Imagist Movement, formed in the early 20th century by the likes of Pound and Hulme, which was essentially a revolt against romanticism and Victorian poetry. But are poetry styles and forms ageless, in a way that prose fiction isn't, or is it the job of new poets to move the art form forward and create poetry like no other?

I love imagist poems - usually very short and matter-of-fact - but if I write my own poetry using this format, am I writing in an out-dated style that everyone else has moved on from?

If you search the works of modern poets, the majority are writing free verse (in my experience at least) as opposed to the traditional forms using rhyme and/or meter, but this still doesn't get to the nub of what 'current' poetry is doing. Surely it can't simply be defined as 'free verse', because while the form allows a lot of freedom and expression, it can hardly be called a modern one.

Not sure I've got the question across very well, but any responses welcomed.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Not every poem is written in iambic pentameter. I think a lot depends on what the author is going for in terms of form and style, but I don't see any kind of rule or prerequisite requiring such. I think poetry is probably the hardest thing to do, but people are doing it. Poems are published every week in The New Yorker and such. Outdated forms need something fresh. For a while McSweeney's was publishing sestinas every week. That was kind of fun. But I do think knowing what's being done today and looking at who is getting poetry buzz is important. I have my favorites, but I also enjoy reading contemporary works, the farthest thing from being outdated.

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

Obviously not. I was merely using it to stress that, regardless of how current the subject matter, it may still be written using a traditional form.

I think I'm trying to determine the difference between a poetry form which could only be classed as experimental, and one that might be recognised, yet still labelled modern or current.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Who are you reading? Who are you into?

5. OurJud

I discovered William Carlos Williams via a film called Paterson, and sort of paused at him. I read a lot of poetry, mainly in anthologies where I don't always make a mental note or remember the author's names, but I'm very much drawn to short poetry, especially those classed as imagist. I'd like to explore poets of this ilk, but funds mean I can't just go and buy their collections whenever I feel like it. I've just ordered two books - 101 Very Short Poems, and another which is a collection of imagist poetry, but they were only about £2 each.