1. SeraAnexia

SeraAnexia New Member

Names for an Anti-Hero?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by SeraAnexia, May 25, 2011.

A little background on this guy: he has warped sense of "doing the right thing". He uses his skills with violence to battle a violence much like his own. He is constantly fighting with his self and has rather questionable motives from the POV of other characters.

"If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you."
    This is an excellent representation of what my character is dealing with. The outcome of course, will be semi positive.

So far I have found Ira (warrior) Judas (betrayer)... but it is a tad overused. As for a surname, I thought Weir (defend, protect) would be a good contrast if I chose Judas. I do not intend for my audience to know his name until later on. It ties into him trying to figure out who he truly is.

I would still loooove a few suggestions.

2. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Perhaps the character doesn't need a name but a nickname, something like the Wolf.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Do you think your character's parents knew he was going to be that kind of person? I don't think they were that clairvoyant (unless they were). Seriously, though. Naming your kid Judas is about as bad as naming an American Adolf or Osama. Names carry horrible connotations.
    If you can't come up with a name that feels right naturally, think about it the way parents do it. "Does anything bad rhyme with this?" "Does it sound dumb when it's put with our last name?" et cetera.

I knew a guy a few years ago by the name of Benjamin. His parents weren't exactly the smartest in choosing his name. His last name was Dover. Therefore, he had the name Ben Dover.

Or, as goes the line from TV show Everybody Loves Raymond: "Raymond, Gaymond, Go-Awaymond."

Don't name your kid, nor your character, Judas.

EDIT: Oh, and I basically support the nickname idea. It's a much better idea. Maybe everyone can start calling him Judas afterwards?

4. SeraAnexia

SeraAnexia New Member

I agree with both statements, and a nickname may be the best possible route. Plus, I have the perfect way to establish the nickname as well. : ) Perfect!

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Yes, I definitely agree with the nickname route as well. Not a lot of heroes/villains/anti-heroes have their actual names as the ones used.

6. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

Dr. Fof

Fear
    Of
    Failure