1. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

Original vampire and werewolf myths

Discussion in 'Research' started by Laughing Rabbit, Mar 19, 2019.

I am using established characters to practice my writing. Nobody is going to see these practice writings, it's just for me to have fun with, but at the same time help me learn to write compelling or believable characters. This time around I decided to go with fantasy characters and chose Dracula, even though he's not my favorite fantasy monster. But my writing got away from me and werewolves entered the picture, they had a fight, and a werewolf bit Dracula. I stopped there, but want to continue with Dracula becoming a werewolf. :oops:

So, my questions are: 1. in the original lore of Dracula, would a werewolf bite affect him? 2. When did the vampire vs werewolf lore begin? 3. Recommend to me your favorite Dracula (not random vampire) book or film, please!

2. Virgo76

Virgo76 Banned

Do you mean vampire books generally or Dracula?
    Dracula is the most famous vampire book of all by Bram Stoker from 1897. It is not the first but has been hugely influential. Definitely worth a read!
    Twilight, True Blood, Buffy, Interview with a Vampire, Salem's Lot etc are not about the Dracula character at all (generally) but about vampires.

3. Virgo76

Virgo76 Banned

Vampires are undead, so probably cannot become werewolves. The great thing is you can make up whatever you like about them though! They don't exist! Have fun! It doesn't matter.

4. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

I'm mostly interested in Dracula in particular because as I understand it he's the basis for all the rest, so the more I read stories about him the more I can figure out his character. Because I don't know much about him, I think my practice story is generic and any vampire could fill his role but I want it to be undeniably Dracula. I also want to know what sets him above all the rest, what makes him so iconic? I've been looking around for the original Bram Stoker Dracula book, but have to order it online so it'll be a long while before I can read it.

5. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Not an expert, but speaking as someone who has read my fair share of vampire/werewolf fiction...I would think that a werewolf bite would affect a normal person bc whatever makes you a werewolf would enter the bloodstream and change you internally. Since vampires aren't alive, and their blood isn't flowing, I wouldn't think it would have an effect on them.

6. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Well, that depends on which depiction of a vampire you go with. Bram Stoker's novel portrays Dracula as the version of a vampire that is alive while awake, but dead while asleep. So it's possible that he could be afflicted with lycanthropy, however Dracula has the ability to turn into anything he wants at noon, sunrise, sundown, and midnight, so it would probably have next to no effect on his life.

7. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor