1. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Quick question: Character has someone's name

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jacklondonsghost, Feb 28, 2010.

I just ran a Google search on one of my character's names, Matthew Reilly, and it turns out there is a pretty successful author with the same name. He even goes by the same nickname that my character is referenced as several times.

All the same, however, I had never heard of this author before, and I feel like the name is fairly generic.

What do you all think? Is it likely I will run into a problem with this? Or does the name strike you as so common that there isn't likely to be a problem?

2. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

As long as your character doesn't have exact traits and distinctions that would allude to this author, I can't see how this could possibly matter. It's an overly popular first name (I have three in my family alone that I know of) and a slightly less popular last name. Maybe do a slight bit of research to make sure that you aren't creating someone too much like the author, but I doubt it should matter whatsoever.

3. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Oh man, well I just visited the author's website, and I think it's safe to say my MR bears no resemblance whatsoever to him. Yay.

4. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Haha Safe!

5. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

You know, this reminds me of a sci-fi project I started once. After playing around a bit with a name randomzier, I decided to name my main character "Marlin Santiago", mainly because I thought it seemed like a cool name for my badass space-adventurer.

I didn't realize it at the time, but as it turns out, this guy named Ernest Hemingway once wrote a rather famous story called The Old Man and the Sea, which is about... a marlin and a man named Santiago.

Imagine my surprise! I'd made a clever homage to Hemingway entirely by coincidence. :D