Orwell's "1984" and the (Worldwide) Erosion of Personal Privacy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dryriver, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

We should consider not just the law itself - as scary as it is - but what it could be used for by a less-than-scrupulous government (aka. a government). We've seen in the UK how 'anti-terrorist' legislation has been used by council workers to rummage through your bins, carry out detailed surveillance of you and your family for weeks on end, and quiz you for information on how much you and your family exceed the RDA of salt and saturated fats.

The 'if it saves but one life' and 'nothing to hide...' arguments have no merit here, either: these laws have not once been used for their stated purpose of 'combating terrorism,' and so have no saved one life or exposed anything untoward. Rather, they've been aimed exclusively at enhancing the government's sphere of influence in your private life.

You may not see anything wrong with that now, but you will when you find that your 'stalker' is a council official, that your three-year-old is on a 'national database of people with racist views because they said 'yuk' to curry, and that, according to your local authority, you need to go on a diet.

2. Dryriver

Dryriver New Member

Perhaps Benjamin Franklin put it best: He said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

As to the "if you have nothing to hide, why are you worried?" idiocy that gets thrown in everyone's face on the internet so much, International Human Rights Law actually guarantess the right to personal and family privacy, and has done so for decades.

People who use the "nothing to hide" argument online are either a) totally ignorant of the privacy rights guaranteed by various human rights treaties or b) possibly paid to advance the fallacious argument that "if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't get worried about the digital surveillance schemes being deployed".

Call me a Conspiracy Theorist, but I believe that the "nothing to hide" argument is actually popularized online by people who have a vested political or business interest in bringing various mass-surveillance schemes to life.

I can't see how a normal human being with an education and an IQ over 70 would in any way advance a fallacious argument that consists of "if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be worried".

Any psychologically normal, educated human being who wants to preserve his/her basic privacy rights, and the privcacy rights of others, will never make an argument like "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Agreed. Privacy and personal liberty are two things I hold dearest of all. And when you quote Benjamin Franklin you make a friend of me. :)

4. Gallowglass

The very fact that the government thinks, without evidence, that you might have something to hide/might be fat/could be a racist and goes well out of its way to find or manufacture proof is something to fear in itself. A government with a self-appointed 'higher purpose' is a government that will stop at nothing to get what it wants. All tosee mothers who've lost their babies to secret evidence and bought-and-paid-for experts in the family courts system will tell you that.

5. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

You cannot prove this statement. Given that much of that sort of thing is probably classified, we wouldn't know anyway, at least not until 30 or so years from now when they declassify some stuff.

Y'know, the simple answer is just to not put stuff on the net.

6. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

That is the simple answer but not viable. Everything we do is on the internet now. From e-mail to shopping to research. Heck, I work from home via the internet. There's a running joke whenever my sister or me start doing research on the net because we're probably hitting red flags everywhere.

No, Gallow's statement is false; I'm sure the current laws we have have been used in the correct capacity quite often, but I'm just as sure that they have been misused just as often. I'm not an optimist on human nature. If they continue to add these invasive laws for our safety, protection, etc, the only viable option is going to be to attempt to move off the grid. And I like running water so that's not gonna happen.

7. Gallowglass

Some lesser criminals may have been convicted on the basis of evidence acquired through such means, but having access to communications data will not stop a crime in progress. If we're talking terrorism, all of the terrorist plots uncovered since these laws were introduced have been discovered through 'internet chatter' or police surveillance of individuals already known to them. None of them have been rumbled by fishing through emails, asking a phone company who called who and when, or checking what sites someone visited.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Time to close this down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.