1. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

Other-inserts

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by SolZephyr, Jun 20, 2018.

Some posts about self-inserts got me wondering. What about other-inserts? That is, authors putting characters into their story meant to represent other real-life people.

Now, I know that a lot of characters are inspired by real-life individuals, but has anyone here actually written a character with the thought -- "Yeah, I would want Soenso to be Wutsairnam if this was the world they lived in." -- ?

I don't have much fiction writing under my belt so I haven't done this myself, though I came close with putting in my significant other in as an obscure character in the lore. I realized they probably wouldn't be happy with the role that character played, so I bowed out (honestly, putting in any character development there would have been distracting from the story anyway).

So, what about it? Has anyone else done this, or am I just a weirdo for even wanting to?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Not as a complete person, no, though literature is riddled with examples of what you mention.

Jack Kerouac famously mythologized many of his acquaintances and friends in his novels

From On The Road: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road#Characters

From Desolation Angels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desolation_Angels_(novel)#Character_key

I've certainly used traits, essences of people I know as scaffolding for characters, but never really used a character as a kind of complete literary avatar for someone I know.

AJ Colher and SolZephyr like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I've got a lot of inspired by in my books, but I don't tend to do the complete insert as that strikes me as a good way to get sued... I have occasionally taken a basis from real life for a throwaway character ... the type who is dead when you meet them and only lasts about a page or less, such as from my most recent WIP, Blood Tide

Val laughed “ You're a fucking maniac Dusty. Do it, but you'll need to call it, my controller is T4.”
    I pressed my face against the gritty ground and prayed. I pictured Ray, Val's JTAC, a slight Puerto Rican, on attachment from the Air farce. We'd expected him to be a standard issue useless fly boy, but he'd surprised us by having the balls of a lion. Another good man gone.

KaTrian and Wreybies like this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't think character development is ever distracting from a story. In fact, it's a very important part of any story. I like to make my fiction as real as possible whether that be nods to real world things/places/people or basing characters after people I know or know of (famous people). And I do name drop whenever I can. However, I've been including some political and world issues in my fiction lately. I chose to change the names of characters based on members of the current administration because I'm going for a bit of a parody or satire of sorts with the last several short stories I've done. Plus, my characters might be slightly more intelligent than their real-life counterparts who don't even exist. But it's very clear who these characters are supposed to be, I believe. And I think this kind of writing can be important. Sure, I could just tell these stories with characters not based on members of the current administration, but then these wouldn't be the same sort of stories.

Even with other fiction I like to have someone in mind that my character reminds me of. It helps me flesh out the details that make a character seem realistic and relatable. Is your partner really going to care if you base a character off of them? Surely, they know you are writing fiction and taking the creative liberties necessary to make it a good story. I think they could be flattered that you used them as a jumping off point to base your character. And they should know that it's not really them or even what you really think of them. It's fiction.

SolZephyr likes this.
  5. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

Yep, it has a long history in the roman-à-clef - thereby giving English Lit studies lots of material/fun matching up the fictional character with the real person (I have several books of them, quite fascinating).