1. Sham

Sham New Member

Hey, can I have a bit of help?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Sham, Oct 31, 2010.

Hi. I'm writing a story about a girl running away from home, meeting a boy, and discovering an ancient tree that controls time and space. The bad guys from another dimension want to make the tree theirs. Now, I just need help with a few names. Also, another name for the species of Shape shifters. Please help me, I really want to read my own story but I can't quite do that without some names and details. Help!

2. Manav

Manav New Member

What do you mean 'details'? Anyway, go with the best name you can come up with for now. You can always change it later when better one strikes you.

3. Sham

Sham New Member

I mean, Details, such as her family or something.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It is your story. It is your job to create your details.

If you have a specific plot hole that you need help with or something, we can help there -- but creating descriptions and names of your characters is 100 percent your job.

5. Sham

Sham New Member

Thanks anyway,

6. Masli

Masli Active Member

When I can't think of a name for a side character or such,I always google namelists. They always give me pretty good ideas. Sometimes you have to change them a little though

7. MissPomegranate

MissPomegranate New Member

For names, try baby name books or websites.

As for the rest...that has to be your idea. If you want it to be your own story, you have to make it up.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

No problem, and I hope I didn't sound harsh, that wasn't the intent. But as a writer, the whole point is to come up with these things yourself. :) Think about characteristics of the character when you name them. Don't make it too obvious -- don't name the goth girl "Raven" or anything like that, that's just kind of obnoxious -- but character traits will help you determine whether to use a strong-sounding name, cutesy-sounding name, old-fashioned name etc.

Hope that helped any.

Agreed with Masli and Pomegranate, baby name books and sites work great.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Be bold. Stand on your own feet, tuck away your 'nads, and start naming.

Just do the best you can. You have plenty of time to change them, from the time you first give names until the story is finished, proofread, and edited to a fine polish.

It's what writers do.

10. Jade-Kult

Jade-Kult New Member

Hmmmm....This might sound stupid but, close your eyes and imagine having an interview with a long line of people. Imagine each person has a different profile, and let them tell you their story. This might not be helpful when you first try it but over time you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

11. sereda008

sereda008 Member

You basically want us to write the novel for you? I could give you the names if you pm me but nobody can write your story.

12. Zombie_Chinchilla

Zombie_Chinchilla New Member

For me, when I have a basic plot and I want to add some more scenes or details, I think of the theme I could add to the story. What does your MC learn from her experiences? Could you possibly add something to the story that expands on that?

For example, the story I'm currently working on has the theme of not judging a group of people all the same. So, to expand it, I added a character that is an example of that; he is a resident in a country that is the enemy of the MC's country, but he has experienced the same pain as the MC.

For me, the theme helps me so much in my novels. The details, characters, names, even the title of the book. Maybe it can for you, too.

13. Sham

Sham New Member

Thanks anyway. Hey, any tips on the places they go to and how to think of them? Thanks a bunch everyone!