Our Godforesaken World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by poetryliberates, Dec 27, 2006.

1. newguy

newguy New Member

Depressingly mama is right...
    It's not the matter of local view just looking at africa as an example shows how the good is outweighed by evil...
    We can['t look at just the small perspective
    I hate to admit that

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Actually, I was going by statistics for the entire United States. I don't know how that relates to the rest of the world. I know there are many war-ravaged areas that are in pretty bad shape. However, acts of war are quite different from the individual acts of rape and depravity that the thread starter originally indicated. The latter isn't performed by stressed out, power-driven men with a mob mentality. It's carried out by individuals who have had plenty of time to think about what they are doing, and went through with it anyway. That is pretty sick.

The world has been in much worse shape. TV just brings the violence and depravity into our homes.

3. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Someone tried to get all of the bad things in the world under control as he saw correct, his name was Adolf Hitler. Problem is, who's concept of right and wrong is correct? His was definitely wrong - at least we all think so cuz he lost the war. What would have happened if he had won? I'm not saying that I support his ideals AT ALL and I, like most of the world, feel that his actions were abominable. But the fact of the matter is we can't CONTROL people. People are going to do bad things because that is what they feel is correct.

Everyone has the right to choose what they will do with the set circumstances handed to them. The only thing we can do is say this is correct and this is incorrect punishable by...whatever and try to improve the circumstances of those around us by doing what we feel is best for them.

But I agree with the previous post, there is a lot of good in the world. Like Mammamaia said, we will always be more interested in and remember the bad (which is why news always talks about the bad) but there's a lot of good that we can focus on and promote.

4. newguy

newguy New Member

Our perspectives of good and evil are swayed as easily as the balance of power is given from one hand to the other....

An example
    if he (hitler) would have won, the vast majority would believe that jews deserve to be dead...

My point would be that We are as meek as sheep...
    we do what we are told, and believe in what our leaders say...

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and that's why 'evil' predominates in the human race and 'good' is the exception...

as for pov differences, i can't see how anyone can argue with the definition of 'evil' being 'the deliberate doing of harm to one's habitat or to any fellow creature'... and 'good' being a version of that wonderful line from hippocrates, 'doing no harm'...

new guy... i admire your courage and wisdom in accepting an unpleasant reality... bravo!

love and hugs, maia

6. newguy

newguy New Member

Thanks mama...
    i've learned to accept it through personal experience...

Life is cruel, and sometimes uncaring, But hope still remains, you've got to admit that as well...
    We are not entirely helpless just sometimes ignorant to truth

7. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Yeah, the problem with this is that Minority Report was FICTION! ;) :D :D :D

8. Frost

Frost Active Member

No.

Too many people dont want the right change, or dont want any change at all.

9. The Freshmaker

You know, in all of recorded history, there have been approximately two hundred years of peace, where no one was at war. That's not very much at all. And you know that during those short peaceful times, there were still sexual predators and murderers and bad people out doing their bad person thing. There will always be evil in the world. No one can change that. And we are a hell of a lot better off now than we were a few hundred years ago.

So there are two options here:

1.) You can be grateful for the good in the world
    2.) You can lament the bad

Think of it this way: how can good exist without bad? Without evil, would we appreciate things like love and unity and beauty? No. Just like no one can be really happy if they've never been truly miserable. There's nothing to compare it to to identify it as good.

You can never take all the evil out of the world. The best course of action is to perpetuate and strengthen the good within it. Start by being positive. Being positive, believe it or not, does not mean that one is naive. When you're positive, people will listen to what you say, and they'll want to be around you. They'll draw from your positivity (?) and become positive themselves.

And isn't that in and of itself good?

10. newguy

newguy New Member

hey it was just an idea!!!:) :p

11. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Meh, duck and geese. I don't define my happiness against the definition of sadness. It' simply an emotion that you don't need misery for. Right now I don't exactly feel happy but I don't feel sad either. I'm just currently in equilibium.

I don't appreciate beauty by looking at ugliness as I know what beauty is to me.

Number 1 is what is worth living for.
    Number 2 is what's worth writing about. As a writer, you'd have to agree that if there was no such thing as number two our ambition wouldn't exist.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sadly, frost is right...

13. The Freshmaker

I'm pretty much trying to say, acknowledge the bad but don't dwell on it. There's much more to be gained from perpetuating and spreading the good that is around us.

14. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Are you kidding me?!!! :eek: I don't dwell on what's bad in life...I OBSESS OVER IT!!! :D

';';';';';';';';';';';';';';';'; SPREADING THE LOVE VIBES ';';';';';';';';';';';';';'; :D

15. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Obviously I'm too late, but I was going to say that there's a quote from the movie version of Contact that this reminds me of:

"You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other."

16. The Freshmaker