1. c0sm0kn0t

c0sm0kn0t New Member

Outline vs Synopsis

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by c0sm0kn0t, Dec 5, 2018.

Hi all,

I'm working on compiling all the supplementary documentation needed for submissions to literary agents. I've picked a few that seem to represent authors with works similar to my own novel. Most of them ask for a query letter, synopsis, and sample of the novel; however, one asks for a "one-page outline". Is that the same things as a synopsis? Coming from an academic background in science, an outline means something very specific. It involves headings with nested bullet points showing the overall structure of your work. Am I just overthinking this? Do they really just want a one-page synopsis?

Also, when literary agents ask for "two page" or "one page" whatever, is it understood that they prefer a certain spacing (i.e., single, 1.5, or double)? I don't want to be "that person" who sends a single-spaced one-page document when it's an unspoken rule that some other spacing is the standard. Thanks for the insights!

2. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    DueNorth, Stormburn and jannert like this.
  3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

4. BayView

BayView Not even a little tender Contributor

In this context, I would consider "outline" and "synopsis" to be synonyms. I'd be really surprised if the agent was looking for bullet points or headings or any of that.

And, yes, double-spaced when they mention a certain number of pages.

Good luck!

5. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

I never understand how it matters. If people can't progress ten words in a sequence, and then ten, and then another ten, how is an individual over e-mail ever going to progress the dialogue? Why even try?

Giro Conspiracy is a ten fousand word thriller at the YA market

piss off.

GRUMPY

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Cave Troll likes this.
  6. c0sm0kn0t

c0sm0kn0t New Member

Thanks! I'll need that forum soon once I'm able to post my query letter for review. Got another week of being a member and several more posts before I meet the requirements. That being said, I was asking specifically about an outline and synopsis. The query letter rules seem pretty straightforward to me!

7. c0sm0kn0t

c0sm0kn0t New Member

Do you think I can sneak in 1.5 spacing? I've got it down to 2 pages with that and shudder to think of shortening it further!

8. c0sm0kn0t

c0sm0kn0t New Member

Yeah I think this paricular agent will just be getting my 2 pager synopsis. Seems silly to give them anything else. Thanks for all the information!

Carriage Return likes this.