1. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Outside Help?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by GlitterRain7, Dec 22, 2017.

So, I was recently given the opportunity to have someone read my story (what I have so far) and critique it. I'm probably way too protective of my story, and I've googled this before and most websites say that you really have nothing to worry about, but I'm still worried about it getting stolen. Should I take this opportunity, or not? Is it too early since I don't have this draft done? Any advice for protecting my story if I decide to do this? (Side notes: I know this person in real life, and I have already told them about some of this story)

2. Midge23

Midge23 Active Member

Hi,

You will have earlier drafts of your story and the email you used to send it to them. It won’t ‘protect’ your story but you can prove it’s yours.
    Other than that, don’t worry about what you can’t control.
    My main concern would not be whether this person would steal my story, but rather are they going to give me worthwhile critique. Realistically, that is more important.
    You could always give them just a chapter like you would post only a section of writting in the workshop.

Dave

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

in reality the theft of unpublished stories is vanishingly unlikely .... piracy of published books is definitely a thing (nothing much you can do about it though) but at the crit stage I really wouldn't worry

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I would be less worried about theft than about obliviousness--about him/her not knowing that the story should be treated as confidential rather than, say, put up on their FaceBook to show "Look what my buddy wrote!"

(Edited to add: I have no evidence for that worry, not even anecdotes, but I would still probably make it clear that the story should be treated as confidential.)

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

What are you planning on getting out of this? Is this person a writer? One of your professors? Surely, you know them better than any of us. Yet it is us you ask to assure you nothing will go wrong. I'm guessing this person who asked to read your novel is not a professional or you wouldn't be worried about someone lifting your work. I agree with the others that it is super unlikely, but ideas can not be copyrighted, only words. Another thing to keep in mind is that (if this is a friend) friends only read novels once. Do you really want to use this one up right now before the novel is even done? You could always show this person your first chapter and see how that goes. But, again, really think about what you want to get out of this.

GlitterRain7 likes this.