Over 30 Dead In the Worst School Shooting!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HellOnEarth, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I said some people. Not all people. Like I said the people in that class were bastards.
    But his roommate probably kept Cho from killing himself. The police did what they legally could do to help him out. And that incident happened in high school. Was he treated that way in College? We don't know.
    How many people tried to talk to him in College? Again we don't know.
    You want to make the world better, teach children better manners. But just because you were laughed at doesn't give anyone the right to kill others. Half the people I know were bullied and humiliated in high school. Not one of them has killed a person.

2. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

Because you are white.

If you were Korean, and was constantly called china-man, chinky eyes, ching chong ching chong ching chong and ching chong, every day of your natural-born life, you would understand.

It's the same as saying nigger to a black man.

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Metis actually.
    And I was called psycho, fat ass, idiot, fag, asshole, dog, and several other things that aren't fit to post. Since I was in kindergarten. Because I was dyslexic, spoke so quickly I was barely understandable, and overweight. There were also several memorable fights.
    And in High school I was laughed at by the entire class as even the teacher smiled.
    Good times.

Heres an interesting link from Japan. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1379537.stm
    8 students dead, 15 injured, in a school attack.
    The weapon was a knife.

4. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Domoviye, I'm not talking about help from 'professionals' as they like to be known. But from his peers. Some people don't realise how deep comments their personal comments can cut someone. :\

As a victim of bullying at upper school I advise any kid I see being bullied or know of that has been bullied to tell someone about it. Only then can it be sorted out.

I kinda steered off track a little then.

I'm all for bullying bullies right back too. P=

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

And we still run into the problem of not knowing if people tried to or not.
    When I hit university I did an awful lot to get over my problems with people in general. A lot of other people who are bullied do as well.
    But if I had decided to stay in my shell, theres not one bloody thing anyone could have done to help me.
    His roommate seems to have tried. Maybe some of his classmates did as well. But considering his state of mind he may not have even realized these people were trying to help him.
    So are people who have their own problems, lives, and education to worry about, suppose to spend every waking hour, making sure that the person beside them is happy and cheerful? Especially when that same person barely acknowledges their existence?

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Oh, right. So because I've been teased ever since kindergarten for being smart and unpopular (And of course called "fag" a thousand times a day even when no one can actually prove I am one), this is obviously good reason for me to go out and kill a couple dozen people in cold blood, and then end my own life so I can speed up my descent to hell!
    Thanks for clearing that up, really! I think I'll just go out on a murderous rampage and wound the bodies and pysches of dozens of people for no good reason, because you said it was okay and understandable!

[/outraged sarcasm]

7. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

Whenever anything really bad happens around Korean people, that is when I would like to hide, go to Hawaii and eat spam sushi until it blows over. I don’t want to comment on it because I don't want to escalate the situation and I don't want to implicate myself in it. I don't want to 'come out' as Asian because therein lies a tremendous responsibility that I never volunteered for, that I don't have any real control over, and that is as mysterious to me as it is to someone who isn't Asian.

So here is the whole terrible mess of the shootings at Virginia Tech. I look at the shooter's expressionless face on the news and he looks so familiar, like he could be in my family. Just another one of us. But how can he be us when what he has done is so terrible? Here is where I can really envy white people because when white people do something that is inexplicably awful, so brutally and horribly wrong, nobody says – “do you think it is because he is white?” There are no headlines calling him the “White shooter." There is no mention of race because there is no thought in anyone's mind that his race had anything to do with his crime.

So much attention is focused on the Asian-ness of the shooter, how the Korean community is reacting to it, South Korea's careful condolences and cautiously expressed fear that it will somehow impact the South Korean population at large.

What is lost here is the grief. What is lost is the great, looming sadness that we should all feel over this. We lose our humanity to racism, time and time again.

I extend my deepest sympathies to all those who lost their loved ones, their children, their friends and family, in this unimaginable tragedy. I send them all the love I have in me, and I encourage everyone to do the same.

--Margaret "Cho"

8. phAntAsmAgoriA

phAntAsmAgoriA New Member

I don't think it's an issue with gun laws. I think it's an issue with our youth. If you want to kill someone, I don't think you're afraid to go a little further and break a gun law.

There was a shooting at my high school last year. No one got hurt...it was an LD kid who was constantly ridiculed. He brought a gun to school and was loading it in the bathroom right before classes started for the day. Another kid walked in and didn't believe that the gun was real. So the kid with the gun shot it into the ceiling to prove that it was real. Luckily, my principal was standing right outside the bathroom and heard the shot. He and a teacher went into the bathroom and pinned the kid to the wall while another teacher notified our school officer and the police came. The school followed our emergency evacuation for an intruder (we practice bomb threat and intruder drills in my school district ever since 2000) and school was canceled for the day. The kid with the gun was taken into custody. I'm not sure what ended up happening to him...I live in a small town and it was all very hush-hush.

After the incident, my school reacted by getting more police officers on campus, perfecting evacuation drills, and locking down the school. By locking down the school I mean that every single door in the school is locked from the outside all the time. The front doors are open to come in and out, but doors to all classrooms, closets, etc. are locked. The thought behind this is that if someone brings a gun to school it will delay and minimize the people that get hurt. If someone's comes to school with a gun, they most likely have an idea of who or where they're going to go. And if the doors are all locked and they know the authorities are going to be notified as soon as they fire a shot, then they're more likely to go directly to their "target" and skip out on killing people along the way. I know that sounds horrible, but there is some logic behind it.

Anyway...all this rambling has gotten a little off topic. My original point was that I don't think all the school violence occurring among American youth in the past few years is entirely related to gun control. Yes, I do think that we need to tighten our gun laws. But I also believe that we need to be paying more attention to our youth. We need to give them places to go *before* they get pushed to the edge. We need to encourage kids to talk to one another and to adults/councilors around them if they need to...whether it's about themselves or about someone else. We need to stop the problem before it becomes a disaster like that at Virginia Tech and Columbine and so many other schools over the past decade or so.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how do you propose that be done?

10. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

Bravo.

11. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I think it's tragic that you can no longer feel safe in a school. It's bad enough that you have to avoid bullies and the odd nasty teacher. As far as I know, most Australian schools don't have metal detectors. It's scary to think that this is happening! We have gun laws and such but people can still get guns and such. But I have never heard of a shooting in an Australian school so maybe gun laws do have some sort of impact. But then again, guns can be used as protection. But I'm not sure because, and no offense intended, I haven't been brought up in a society where I can go into town and get a gun within a short period of time. But the family of the killer I feel sorry for. Who could imagine that their child would become a murderer? My heart goes out to the victims family, friends, and souls and so too the family of the murderer.