1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Overcoming obstacles

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by KhalieLa, Sep 11, 2015.

Content Removed By Author

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Jeff Countryman likes this.
  2. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream Supporter

I'm not a fantasy reader or fan but the feedback intrigued me enough to read the rest of your post. Clearly, the reader is barking mad. I'm really impressed with your research and knowledge. Those were extremely sophisticated answers to very mundane reader opinions. Well done and well said!!

KhalieLa likes this.
  3. Inks

Inks Contributing Member

Fantasy stories come in all forms, dwarves are physiologically far closer than any real life variant. Such a thing can be described more as a form of genetic dwarfism that is a dominate genetic trait. Also, not to be a pervert, but even if they are distinct species and cannot breed - a sexual relationship is still possible. Such unions would be likely forbidden even if a child could result, but even if not... it could be purely for the fun of it. Though fantasy stories do not need to be based on concrete science, hello magic. It is your story, the religious matter is a personal one until you are going to publish. Where it would be a sticking point for many publishers. The size for dwarves need not be cut to the readers specification, but the size difference is going to be a point when they are both 5'4". When I think of "dwarf" I do not think of someone my height, this however would resolve point 1 as that you are looking more in "racial" rather than genetic differences between your names.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

1/A dwarf (dwarf. 1. a person of abnormally small stature owing to a pathological condition, esp. a condition that produces short limbs or anatomical deformation) and a human of normal height CAN breed. Different species can breed (look at mules). And, in fantasy, anything can breed with anything else if you say it can.
    2/ OK, you may upset biblical fundamentalists.
    3/ dwarf. 1. a person of abnormally small stature...
    So, I agree with your reader here.

Your answer actually seems to be distinguishing between Neanderthal man/Dwarf/dark and muscular, and Cro-Magnon man/Elf/fair and more finely-featured.

My point being that Celts and Germans weren't really that separate, insofar as Celt is not a race, but a culture that was shared by many disparate populations scattered all around Europe, and with equally varied racial characteristics.

5. KhalieLa

CONTENT REMOVED BY AUTHOR

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  6. KhalieLa

CONTENT REMOVED BY AUTHOR
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017