1. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

I have a question for all the men here

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Amoeba, Dec 29, 2011.

so...I am writing about a character who has "guy charm" .
    meaning he is an attractive male to most straight men, like that they would admit he's a very good looking guy, and is someone most guys would wanna be friends with when they meet him. I don't know if you understand what I mean...but if you do then what would this guy be like? looks and character wise.
    any insights?

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Seems to me you have already described what you are looking for (at least personality wise). But, as far as looks and swagger, I guess Bruce Wayne and any James Bond actor would suffice. They also have the "guy charm."

3. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Hm, well, straight guys usually don't have issues when it comes to their friend's good looks, so having a handsome guy in a company is not that much of a problem. You just wouldn't call him attractive because that implies, well, attractiveness, or some sort of "I'd soooo do him" kind of thinking. And that's what makes a straight guy, well, a gay guy! :) I hope you get my meaning...
    And when it comes to how he should look like, I don't think an extra-macho-ultra-tv star-underware model type of guy is necessary. A regular, everyday hotty is just fine ;)

4. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Manly traits, maybe a scar. piercing eyes, not a girly man by any means but rugged good looks. Confidence that shows in his face and walk.

5. muscle979

muscle979 Member

I don't necessarily agree with that. There are plenty of men that a lot of women find pretty attractive that other men don't care for. Think of anybody labeled as a pretty boy. If you want a character that 'regular' men are drawn to think of guys like James Bond, John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in their primes. These guys are called a 'man's man' for good reason.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I pretty much agree with muscle979. Guys are attracted to guys they respect. Looks don't matter much. What matters is if a man stands up for what he believes, even if it costs him. A man of courage becomes a friend of other guys because he's reliable and steadfast, and that matters. I don't care if the guy has a million dollar physique and movie-star looks and swanks into the room in a tuxedo; if he crumbles when things don't go well, I don't trust him and won't respect him.

A guy has "guy charm" to other guys, I think, if he conveys the impression that he has the other guys' backs. That he can be depended upon. That he's a good man in a storm, so to speak.

7. Jhunter

James Dean.

8. Metus

Metus New Member

This is 100% correct. I'm a guy, and I can say that good looks are actually quite meaningless in friendships among heterosexual males. I've never even heard the topic come up among any of my friends.

9. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

I do agree with you, but you said it yourself : guys are not attracted to other guys in the same way and for the same reason girls are! ;)

10. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Charisma and handsome looks, though for me personally i'm not attracted to any blokes (as of yet), I can just see when someone is an attractive fellow.

11. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

The young gachupine who was courting her shouted from the other side of the carriage. “You! Criollo! How dare you address a woman of proper breeding? Move along before I beat you like the dog that you are!” Even as the words left his lips he knew that he had made a grave error. All he had seen was a commoner sitting on a wagon. Now, as he looked into the steady, confident eyes of Felipe he saw no trace of the fear that he had expected.

He now saw the heavily muscled arms, the piercing eyes and the scar. But most unnerving of all was the look of utter confidence in the man’s eyes and the fine sword at his side. Few Criollos dared to carry a sword so they would not have to answer a challenge. He waited for a response from Felipe and this was even more unnerving.

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Felipe, you keep mentioning a scar. What's attractive about that?

13. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Some men like scars I guess. I think some look cool, but not attractive things. And this coming from someone who has a scar across the right side of their stomach and one in the same place Harry Potter does but more of a straight line and going backwards :p I can never go bald, it'd look ridiculous :D

14. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Yeah I took in mind all the guy characters men usually admire. It’s funny how men and women see this differently too. I was very surprised at some of the examples guys would give me . So I’m really trying to understand a mans point of view on this.
    As a girl it can be hard for me to understand what a man would see as an awesome guy to be around.

15. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Not attractive, but manly. I think what she was looking for was "guy charm" as she put it. In my mind, that is not a girly man. When penning my first novel my wife suggested this, that he be handsome but in a manly, rugged way. I suggested a scar and she agreed. This spawned the entire first chapter of the book.

16. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Yeah , bad choice of words maybe. :) but I meant attractive as like in general attractiveness, not necessarily physical. like what is a “man” man to a guy. And what exactly makes a guy one.

17. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Yes I understand the “not girly” is a must, Haha. The confidence is very important too. Thank you for the tips.

18. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

This is exactly what I mean….as a girl I sometimes don’t understand the appeal of men that men find to be good looking guys.
    So what is it exactly? Is it cause they look tough? Strong? Bad ass? And what is it in the way they act that makes a guy go “wow, he’s cool”. Or maybe the opposite, what would really annoy guys about other guys? Like what should I avoid at any cost?

19. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

I liked what you wrote. This helped me a lot actually. So what would make you respect a guy without you really knowing him that well yet? Like at first impression? What would be that something that says “I’m a reliable guy”?

20. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Yeah, I got James Dean a lot actually. But I have to say the guy that most guys admitted to being a good looking guy in their opinion just randomly without me even asking, was Hayden Christensen. Seriously for some reason I have heard so many guys that would make a remark on his looks when they see him.

21. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

I see what you mean. I suppose confidence is most important. well it kinda applies to all people in general, people like people with confidence. though wouldn't a guy who really looks tough and confident will seem a little intimidating to guys? like somebody who they won't feel comfortable to start a conversation with...

22. Jhunter

Well, I forever hate him for ruining Darth Vader.

But for me, personally, I would have to say Bill Murray and Robert Downey Jr.

23. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

lol, George Lucas ruined Darth Vader, not Hayden. I kinda liked him as Anakin actually.
    I love Robert Downey Jr. Great taste In men you got there.

24. Amr M. Abdu

Amr M. Abdu New Member

The man you're looking for is an alpha man with leadership qualities. A confident, assertive man. A quick-witted storyteller, perhaps with a sense of humor. OR one who observes and listens more than talks and boasts. Definitely not a person who seeks others' approval. And, of course, as 'minstrel' said, "if he conveys the impression that he has the other guys' backs", someone you can rely on.

25. Jhunter

Haha, touche; I guess you are right. I have never minded him in anything else. So it makes sense. But, Darth Vader aside, Hayden is a good looking man. I wouldn't be upset if I looked like that, haha.