Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Pacing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Jul 18, 2018.

How can you really judge the pacing of your writing? Are things moving quickly? Too fast? Too slow? And how are you supposed to know if the pacing is consistent? Is the pacing supposed to be consistent? I think these things can be extremely hard for me to spot both in my writing and reading other works. I guess it's not something I've given too much thought nor have I ever felt it was something I had a problem with. And maybe my pacing is just fine, but if that's the case there is something working in the back of my mind. So how do you know what pace your story in unfolding at and how do you know you've got it down right? Are there things to look for that help you judge this in your writing?

2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I know it is corny, but I'd do thin outlines of novels I liked, or count how many times sex/combat/arguments happened.

3. MikeyC

MikeyC Active Member

I read and re-read my work all the time. Helps a lot. Maybe not worry too much about the pace. As long as you concentrate on a good story, the pace will sort it self.

Rgds

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Test audience :agreed:.

5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Yep, a good beta or betas will be able to tell you if the story is either dragging or giving them whiplash.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think it's pretty easy to tell when you're reading - are you getting impatient and wishing the author would get on with it? Are you feeling rushed and pushed ahead and not given the time you want to explore? Both of those are pacing issues.

It's definitely more difficult when you're writing, I'd say. I like @John Calligan 's suggestion about outlining other people's novels (novels you've enjoyed and that have sold well, hopefully!) and then comparing their pacing to your own. It won't be foolproof, of course, but it seems like a useful tool at least for the start.

John Calligan likes this.
  7. Siena

Siena Senior Member

You can use hero's journey to pace.