1. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

Page numbers, headers, and title pages.

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Francis de Aguilar, Jul 5, 2021.

I am just getting a manuscript formatted using word for Mac 2019. I have added a title page to the start. The advice I have is that page numbers go top right in the header. This means page 1 is the title page, and page 2 is the opening page. Can't seem to get it to start numbering from the opening page. Any advice?

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I have found that page numbering (and headers and footers in general) seem to be badly broken in Word 2016 compared to Word 2003 (both for Windows), in which they just worked.

In general, there are a couple of things that may affect this. First off, in "Page Setup," for a book with left and right pages you need to get into the "Layout" tab and be sure the check boxes for both "Different odd and even" and "Different first page" are checked. This is what allows you to put a different header and/or footer on the right-hand pages and on the left-hand pages, and to omit headers on the first page of new chapters.

[I just noticed you asked about a manuscript. So you are printing single-sided and you won't have left and right pages. Do NOT check "Different odd and even." That's for book layout.]

Once you set these check boxes, headers and footers should be unique for each section. I don't know how you like to work, but I use a section break when I jump to a new chapter, because a section break allows me to choose "Odd page" for where the new chapter will begin. If the last page happens to end on a right-hand (odd-numbered) page, this automatically inserts a totally blank left-hand page where it belongs when you print -- or when you export to PDF.

With all that set, once you are into the header or footer where you want to have the page number show up, the header and footer options are found in the "Design" tab on the ribbon menu. (I'll assume the Mac version works about the same as the Windows version.) At the left end of the ribbon is the option to insert a page number. However, of course, you don't actually want to put a page number on the title page, you only want the numbering to begin there -- and it should be in Roman numerals.

So go to your second page, then double click in the header area. That will open the "Design" ribbon panel. Click on "Page number" and you'll be offered a series of choices where to place the page number. Click "Top of page," and then choose "Plain Number 3." This will put a page number on the top right. It should default to knowing what page it is in the document, so it should come in as "2" and it should be in the default font and type size that's in effect for the document.

To change the font or size, or to change to Roman numerals for the front matter, hover the mouse pointer over the page number and right click. That should pop up a menu from which one of the choices is "Format Page Numbers." From that, you can specify whether you want Roman or Arabic numerals, and you can override the page number and tell it to start with a different number.

I hope that helps rather than adding to the confusion.

Lifeline and Francis de Aguilar like this.