1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Blogging advice?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Steerpike, Oct 5, 2015.

So, I've been asked by my law firm to maintain a blog on the firm's web site. It would be focused on Intellectual Property law (patents, trademarks, copyright, &c.), but will at times range beyond that. I'll have editorial control.

A number of years ago I wrote a monthly newspaper column on legal issues for a paper in the midwest. Since then, I have not been on any firm writing schedule, and of course blog posts come with more frequency than monthly. My main concern is the amount of time that would have to be devoted to it. I'd probably need to do a post weekly.

For those of you who blog regularly, how much time in total do blog posts take you (research, writing, editing, and finally posting?).

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I don't do this in my current job but I did in the last. It would take me around 1.5 hours a week. I had less research to do than you, since mine was more 'creative' than factual, but I did have to take original photos for it around the site and I've included time for that.

Good luck!

Steerpike likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Thanks @Tenderiser. I don't mind putting maybe a couple hours a week into it. I spend, on average, 12 or so hours a day at work plus some weekend time, so I'm only going to agree to blogging if it isn't a substantial intrusion into my non-work time :)

1.5 to 2 hours would be OK with me.

4. Bookster

Bookster Banned

Obviously, it depends on how often you plan to post a new entry, but 1.5 to 2 hours per sounds about right to me. IMO, a blog which isn't updated at least once a week should probably not be started. I see blogs regularly where the last post was in 2013. I have no idea why those are still up.

Also, software is important. If you plan to use a dedicated blogging program, in my limited experience, you have a better chance of being eaten by a bear than you have establishing a secure installation of Wordpress.

None of my business, but if you aren't a partner, or aspire to that level, you're working too many hours.

5. Steerpike

@Bookster - my entries would be weekly, but the blog will be through the firm. Other attorneys and or staff would be contributing as well. My understanding is we're to have new content daily. I don't know what platform they're using. I'd like to have direct access to it in order to make my posts directly, but it wouldn't surprise me if I end up having to send my entries to firm administration and they post them.

As for partner - I'm senior counsel. My boss wants to make me partner. I'm not sure what I think of that, to be honest, because I value my time not spent working. Normally, I'd put in about 10 hours a day, but I missed some work earlier this year for family reasons and so it's be around 12 hours a day the past month and half and will continue to be so through the end of the year. The question with partnership is how much other time and responsibility comes with it in addition to the billable hours goal I still have to hit. If it's a lot, I'd just as soon not be a partner.