3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nope.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Paper Mario is dying...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Mar 14, 2016.

For anyone who has played any of the original Paper Mario games you already know what a disaster Sticker Star was for the Paper Mario series, and Nintendo as a whole. If you've never heard of Paper Mario however allow me to explain further into the depth of the issue.

The original Paper Mario was an RPG game developed by Intelligent Systems and originally was released on the Nintendo 64. The game was original for many reasons, but the one reason that stands out the most was that the game featured 2D characters in a 3D environment (hence the name Paper Mario). The game included a turn-based battle system, and a unique story and world compared to other Mario games prior (except for Super Mario RPG which was another game that shared a similar concept). Point being, the game got everything right; the gameplay mechanics, story, and characters. The game also included a partner system which included unique characters with special abilities. As the game went on you would gain more partners that you could upgrade and battle along side with.

I could really go on and on about how good the first Paper Mario was, but that's not the point of this thread. Given another few years Nintendo released a sequel to Paper Mario that was twice as good as the first. Keeping the original concept of the original game in mind they expanded on it creating another unique world full of unique characters. This game is Paper Mario and the Thousand-Year Old Door, and is still to this day my favorite video game of all time.

Now this is where things begin to go down hill slightly. Super Paper Mario (the next game in the series) was still a good game, but this is due mostly for it's exceptionally well down story. The game-play however was altered dramatically, removing the turn-based battle system, and now having battles on a scrolling screen. I still enjoyed the game, but I was still a bit bitter from the fact they removed the turn-based battle which was one of my favorite aspects of the game. At this point I didn't know what to expect from the next Paper Mario game, but fast forward a few years Sticker Star was released on the 3DS.

This is where things went downhill, fast. Sticker Star in a nutshell removed everything that made Paper Mario great. It removed an original story, unique characters, and destroyed the game-play mechanics. It was one of the most bland, annoying, and pointless games I've ever played. The battle systems now longer had a leveling up system. Now instead you only got coins from winning battles which made battles completely pointless. It also replaced the battle system in the game with a turn-based one that required you to use stickers for attacks. To sum it all up, it destroyed just about any respect I had left for Nintendo. I can not explain how heart-broken and angry I was that Nintendo basically destroyed my favorite game. It took everything I loved about Paper Mario and flipped it on its head. To try to put it into perspective for some of you it's like when Microsoft made Banjo Kazooie: Nuts 'n Bolts, or when M. Night Shyamalan made the Last Airbender movie. That's how bad it was. I lost it.

Now it's 2016 and another Paper Mario game is due to be released this year. At first I thought this is where Nintendo would redeem themselves, but that's until I saw the trailer for the new Paper Mario game.

Paper Mario: Color Splash is just following in Sticker Star's footprints, and I cannot allow this. I've waited patiently for a new Paper Mario game that would excel the original trilogy.

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-cancel-paper-mario-color-splash

This is a link to a petition that's been set-up to halt Nintendo's plans with Color Splash and have them fix the series they've destroyed. If you are a fellow Paper Mario fan please sign this. It currently has over 600 signers, but we'll need a ton more to get Nintendo's attention. Also share this with anyone you know that is a Paper Mario fan.

We need to stop Color Splash for Nintendo's sake. It's bound to do worse than Sticker Star. We need the original Paper Mario formula back. It's something that many including myself want back so dearly. It's hard to explain, but Paper Mario is my childhood and I can't bare to watch Nintendo continue to destroy it. I've waited patiently for another great Paper Mario game, but it looks like Nintendo is going to need a slap in the face before that happens.

2. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Nintendo needs to get it in gear.

They alienate old fans [Nintendo fan boys are some of the most loyal, enthusiastic gaming sects. I have a buddy who has so many 3DSes. He's been a fan since NES] to attract new ones, but fail to attract or keep the new fans.

Not to mention that they are charging $60 for Twilight Princess HD, when amateur modders could make a better re-texture, they didn't add substantial new content, and many other companies sell HD remakes for less than $60. Said other companies can make that game 1080p and 60 fps as well.

I adore Paper Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong. But I can't help but feel lately those franchises are being shat on.

theoriginalmonsterman likes this.
  3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Yeah, I remember when I was little, and some games on the DS were actually good, now they pander to little kids. But honestly, even the Gameboy pandered to the lowest denominator. Handheld video games, am I right?

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

It's a tragedy. I used to be a diehard Nintendo fan, once swearing to myself that I would never go to Microsoft and Sony. Today? I barely play my Wii U, my X-Box One and PS4 get most of the attention. I'm cool with Nintendo wanting to expand its marketing, but not at the expense of the people who were playing their games from the very start! The only reason I even have a Wii-U is because of Super Smash Brothers and the Zelda U title that will apparently never be released ever. I just don't really know what Nintendo is trying to do here...

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Guys. I grew up on Nintendo as well. Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario, all that shit. There is NO reclaiming your childhood. It's not that Nintendo WON'T do what you want. It's that they are physically unable to do it. It took me a long time to fully realize this. Your brains have aged. What you thought was cool then wouldn't appeal to you now. Maybe you go back and play the old games you so dearly loved, but what you're probably enjoying most are the memories. That's not going to be achieved by making a new game.

That's argument one.

Argument two is this. If you love Led Zeppelin, go and listen to Led Zeppelin. You don't need another ten albums by them. The only thing that has somehow miraculously not gotten repetitive is James Bond, and with the last two films, even that is questionable. Life is about trying new, different experiences, and enjoying the old ones for what they are.

You simply can't keep repeating the old Paper Mario experience in new ways. It's impossible. Look at like this. If you want to make a new Paper Mario, but keep it exactly the same, there's no point in making the new Paper Mario. If you want to make a new Paper Mario that is different, it breaks the promise of nostalgia.

The best thing to do is what you're doing. Move on to playstation, xbox, and PC, enjoy more "adult" games like GTA and whatever. At some point even those will become boring.

It's OK. I hope Nintendo continues to find it's niche. We all respect it as an amazing video game company.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

I completely agree except for they could still do turn based battles that everyone wants and loves, and find other ways to make it fresh. I will definitely play next game in series, and am holding out hope that the card based battles will be fun and engaging. Obviously they either wanted to, or were strictly told to, make the gamepad useful and not just for item swapping or map viewing, so of course they had to find something to do with it, and voila! you have card based battles where you flick the cards around. We'll see.

by the way, I did not enjoy the use of battle cards in paper jam, so hopefully this will be drastically different.

7. theoriginalmonsterman

https://www.google.com/search?q=Paper+Mario+fan+games&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWm8ShuIrMAhUMaT4KHVsHCIYQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=657

That's like saying you can't experience the old Pokemon experience in new ways, and that's simply just not true.

You have to admit it's pretty frustrating when there's such a great concept like Paper Mario that has gone to waste, because the creators decided to go with gimmicks instead of listening to the fan base of said game. Somebody seriously needs to slap Nintendo awake.

Also I can't find enjoyment in games like GTA V, because it's pointless. You drive around stealing, and killing people. There's no story in that! There's no unique characters in that! There's no fun turn-based battles in that!

The gaming industry has become so bad that the only game I'm currently looking forward to is Kingdom Hearts 3. In fact I'm currently replaying the first two games in the series.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  8. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

If you want a good story, read literature. As you get older, I personally feel video games become more and more limited in what they have to offer you.

I say this having loved Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc, etc, back in the day.

9. AdDIct

AdDIct Active Member

I just think it depends on what you're looking for. I've found that as I've grown older I generally don't actually play many RPGS and have been more drawn to the competitive scene with MOBA's like Dota, SMITE, L.O.L, and soon Paragon.

Most games that I do play now I have to play with friends or it's easy to get distracted. That and I don't really play games for story so much as graphics and game mechanics. Like I LOVE Saints Row 4. LOVE it and it's not because of the story, it's pretty pointless even though I do pay attention to it. I like it because of how clever the game mechanics and stuff are. Like the powers in the simulation the different satirical motifs all of that gets me playing it.

10. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Story games have a place in the industry. And if they don't they should. And I am confused by the notion you would want less story as you grow older. But maybe that's just my development that I become more interested in characters and plot and themes as I grow and really love complex designs with them,
    The industry is not getting bad it's just adapting to the fact it's becoming a proper industry, and there are a few growing pains but don't exaggerate it so. (Golden Rule of Talking; when people say anything about a product it is most likely to be a complaint. because admit it or not we all get the urge to whine more than we should about what we dislike and throw hyperbole)
    There is no reason why you can't capture an old feel in a new game, but don't expect them to hold back on change when change is what validates new things. You need to do something different otherwise it's just for money. And boring for everyone.
    I don't know whether Sticker Stars changes were bad since I haven't played it, but I do think gaming suffers from expectancy. One thing you need to remember about entertainment is it is not for you. You may think it is but is not. It is for whoever likes it. And if they do something very intentionally without regret maybe they just don't agree with you. They can't cater to every perspective and taste. I worry gaming is for some reason to fraught with people who seem to want the designer to cater to them regardless of whether that's a fair expectation. Not saying your doing that necessarily but you need to be careful with what you expect.
    That is my piece on this subject. With love.:blowkiss::blowkiss:

11. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

The problem is, paper Mario IS sacrificing bigger stories for more casual gameplay. that's what one of my major complaints is. Of course, you are right, we love to complain. I do love paper Mario and have found enjoyment out of each installment.

12. theoriginalmonsterman

[​IMG]

13. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Point taken. And I did look it up, it seems to have done some questionable things. But my point still stands.