1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Emma

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Steerpike, Nov 4, 2015.

I'm about 120 pages or so into Jane Austen's Emma. I am enjoying the book, but I have to say that I'm not sure I like Emma all that much. She's smart and witty, but at the same time she has an overly-inflated view of her own ability to perceive social situations, and a false sense of her own importance in them. Her blunders have cost Harriet her first prospect (and, likely, a chance to be happy).

Emma is the title character, yet so far I wonder if we're meant to like her.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

I recently picked this up from the thrift store, doing my part to keep literacy rates low and sharing of the human condition low, adding to my hoard. Perhaps you've given incentive. Will update later.

3. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Read a few pages at Timmy's this morning, pre-work. Paragraphs one and four of page one leave me doubting her perception of the world, but will be on the look out for specifically why her locus of control and self-reported insights are exaggerated.