Paragraphs too long?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Juniormint, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Juniormint

Juniormint Member

If it were defined as being "the Presence" than I would. However in this instance 'presence" is more of just what he describes it as. "It feels like the presence of another being. He felt that odd presence float away. The presence shifted in his mental vision." stuff like that. It isn't a defined identity, just a description of one. I wouldn't call water, Water just because it was a specific set of water.

I understand. I have recently started to try imaging my story like a movie and only describing it how I would imagine a scene playing out. I wouldn't be concerned with all the odd nic nacks in the background of a room so, though they are there, they aren't important to the movie and thus I hardly notice them (don't write them.) I am going to attempt to simply write what I picture in my mind in a way that I would see it if my story were a movie or a video playing out and I was the eye in the sky watching it all unfold, except with a bit of insight into the characters mindset as I go along.

XRD_author likes this.
  2. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

You can do that, but keep in mind the particular advantages that movies and books each have. For example,
    • movies have actors who can communicate an incredible amount of relevant information in nuanced facial expression, body language, inflection, and pacing. And they have music, too, to set the tone.
    • Books can't do have actors or a musical score (has anyone scored an audiobook?), but on the other hand, books can get inside character's heads and show the reader what the character is thinking and feeling.

3. Juniormint

Juniormint Member

True, though mostly I'm trying to use it for flow and dialogue. I have the issue of trying to put all dialogue in first, then switch to the flow of movements and actions kind of issue. If i write a scene it would seem like all that happened was chatting, DnD turn based style and then everyone would move after. Finding ways to transition better between the two so that it feels more united is what I need to work on.