Paralytic Disease

Discussion in 'Research' started by Kirvee, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

@Anonym: Eheheheh :-D;;;

Well, my only other options were to have either her parents be rich or one or both of her parents would be doctors.

2. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Definitely. :p All too often the media/books romanticize illness. It's always been extremely frustrating to me. So I'm always up for a book that tells it how it really is. Plus it makes what I went through feel more worthwhile when I can help someone else in any way because of it. :)

Polio sounds like it'd work too. I hadn't heard that there was a resurgence of it. That's not good. :/ Nerve damage is so awful to deal with. It makes me sad that people are getting it again when we have a vaccination for it. :( For some reason things that are totally preventable are especially sad.

3. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

@Terra: Agreed. Well, the media tends to sensationalize everything these days without regard to the facts of the story (case in point: the recent reporting of the new McDonalds Shrek glasses being toxic. Everything you may've heard about it is a lie, btw).

On-topic: Great, now I can't decide between a tumor or polio, XD. Tumor sounds better since I can ask Terra about it but.....*thinking*

4. TerraIncognita

Go with whatever you think suits the story best. I won't get my feelings hurt. lol :p

5. Anonym

Anonym New Member

I think people might think "hey.. isn't that extinct?" if you were to use polio, despite its apparent resurgence. also, polio seems (idk) relatively well understood - whether it is something that medical erudites would care to study or not might be a sub-point worth researching. they may well

perhaps the fact(?) that polio is becoming more prevelant would be reason enough for study.

6. TerraIncognita

Generally that's how it goes. The more prevalent something is the more money it gets for research. You know the saying about how the squeaky wheel is the one that gets oiled.

Either way you'd be in the hospital a lot with either if things didn't go right. I was in there five and a half weeks the first time. Any kind of issue that causes nerve damage takes a LOT of time and effort to even begin to correct or heal. So even if that particular thing wasn't being researched you'd still be in there whenever you had some sort of flare up of symptoms.