1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Parking enforcement appeal letter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Jul 29, 2010.

I recently received to citations while parking at UTSA, that I feel were unjustified. I have prepared two appeal letters, and would appreciate any noted or comments. Cog, Banzai, and Wrey, if this in in the wrong section I apologize please move it.

Re: Citation # 10025358

On July 22, 2010 I received a citation for parking in a spot which was apparently reserved for faculty/staff parking. I was unaware that the spot was reserved because the making box was badly faded and worn. The following photograph is of the spot in which I parked:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lordkyleofearth/UTSA%20Parking/IMAG0089.jpg

As is evident by this photograph, the painted box does not denote any sort of special parking zone. The “Fac/staff” that is stenciled onto the other spots in the parking area are completely missing, there are no signs to reinforce the faculty zone, nor any signs denoting that faculty parking coexists in the lot along side student parking.

The confusion is further increased by the fact that other rows of faculty parking have been repainted recently in a different color (white) and those spots are properly stenciled. This gives the illusion that the old faded yellow spaces are no longer 'special' parking zones.

The two vehicles parked next to me also received the same citation, presumably because they also made the same mistake I made (assuming that the zone was open to students). Here is a photograph showing one of the other cited vehicles, in an equally poorly marked parking spot: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lordkyleofearth/UTSA%20Parking/IMAG0093.jpg While taking the pictures of the spots, 3 other students parked in the spots and only left after I showed them my citation. They were totally unaware that it was a faculty only zone.

In conclusion, I feel that UTSA has not met the required burden of identifying these spaces as faculty/staff only. The confusing mixture of paint colors, missing stencils, and faded/chipped paint reinforce this, as does the volume of students who have made the same mistake. For these reasons I believe that citation number 10025358 should be dismissed.

Re: Citation # 10025453

On July 28, 2010 I received a citation for parking in a “Space reserved for volleyball camp”. I feel this citation is unwarranted as the space was not marked as reserved when I parked there at approximately 10:30 A.M. I can prove the space was at the end of the reserved row, but not included, with photographs taken at the time that I parked. (I always photograph my parking spaces in the event that a neighboring vehicle causes damage while I am away). The image at: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lordkyleofearth/UTSA%20Parking/IMAG0097.jpg clearly shows no cone at the head of the space, as does this one: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lordkyleofearth/UTSA%20Parking/IMAG0096.jpg. The time/date stamp on the image (contained in the exif data) shows the photos taken between 10:29 A.M. And 10:30 A.M.

Upon returning to my vehicle I found both a cone at the head of the space, and a citation on my windshield, as shown here: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/lordkyleofearth/UTSA%20Parking/IMAG0098.jpg. The time stamp for this image shows it to have occurred at 12:31 P.M. The citation was issued at 11:44 A.M. Presumably the cone was placed at the head of the space around this time.

I do not feel that a citation is warranted in this case, as the space was clearly NOT part of the reserved volleyball camp section until some time between 11:44 A.M and 12:31 P.M.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I would be a bit nicer. You present the fact clear and professionally and that is a good start. The next best thing you can do as make the person reading it feel respected and happy over such a polite, nice letter rather then the angry ramblings the usually has to deal with.

Thank the person reading their letter for their time and consideration and so on. Sure it their job, but you would thank anyone else who job it is doing you a service.

Nice and clear. That is the way to go. And you got the clear part fine already.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I think your letter has everything needed to get them to retract the 2 citations. It actually makes me a bit pissed off with them for giving these citations. With that first one, the yellow marking says absolutely nothing because of the fade-out. And you clearly make the point with that photo on the other citation, clearly showing no cone where you were parked. Such an excellent idea to take a photo when you park.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what is a 'making box'?

i'll be happy to help you with these letters if you send them to me as an email attachment...

love and happy birthday hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

5. LordKyleOfEarth

Thanks everyone!

Mammamaia, the 'Marking box' is the best way I could think of to describe the marking system they use. At the end of each spot a colored box is painted and stenciled with whatever special zone the spot may contain. Blue boxes mark handicapped spaces, white (or apparently, yellow) denotes faculty, and there are mysterious black ones, which either mean the zone is no longer in use or that they are reserved for Ninjas and Sith lords.

6. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I think both letters are fine. Send away. I don't think you need to be nicer. It's a fact/correspodence letter, and the facts need to be present, nothing else. The last thing you want to do with such letters is to inject anything personal. State the facts, send it in, etc.

Or, you could just have the Sith Lord take care of it for you, when he DOES come to use his parking space! LMAO!

7. mammamaia

ok, but you wrote 'making box' leaving out the 'r'... which is why i asked...

8. LordKyleOfEarth

Wow I didn't catch that until the 4th time I reread it, looking for what you were talking about. Stupid human mind...

Thanks Maia

9. mammamaia

which is why i offered to go over the whole thing for you... ;-)