1. gogglebox

gogglebox New Member

Thinking about writing my first book

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by gogglebox, Jul 10, 2013.

hi i am 25 years old always had a interest in creative writing so i thought i would collect some ideas over recent weeks and i thought i would share them here and see what people think and if its worth making a story out of it? thanks all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

this is what i have came up with so far...

married couple, starts off when they met and there life together when younger

they are involved in a crash wife dies

man wants to get in touch with wife

man lives depressed dosent talk to anyone really makes friends with a dog and does his own activities

he later at some point finds a letter (unsure where or how he will find it) but it explains they will have a crash and she will die she is psychic

he later gets ill dies and they meet in spirits where they 1st met

thats what i have so far so everyone can let me know what they think thanks

2. Kita

Kita New Member

For a start, your use of grammar and capital letters needs work. As for your story, I am confused at parts.

an lives depressed dosent talk to anyone really makes friends with a dog and does his own activities What activities?

he later at some point finds a letter (unsure where or how he will find it) but it explains they will have a crash and she will die she is psychic Who is a psychic and is this the aforementioned crash?

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

You've got to go ahead and write some of it. We can't tell you anything just based on a general idea or plot outline.

4. Steve Day

Steve Day Member

YOU ARE 25 and have always been interested in writing. How many books have you read?What are they? Tell us more.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Please read the forum rules, especially those regarding posting pieces for critique.

There are a lot of folks on this forum, all different ages, levels of experience, and countries. A handful are published writers. I'm not one of them. But I've written a few novels and gone through the early stages of trying to get published. So, now you know where I'm coming from.

Ideas mean very little. They've all been done in some form or other. The key is to give your idea your own special touch, the story that only you can tell. Don't worry about what we think of your idea, go write it. When you do, make sure that it's the best that you can make it - structurally sound, grammatically correct, with good spelling and punctuation, memorable characters that readers will care about and a story that is riveting.

Best of luck.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

7. JCAC138

JCAC138 New Member

Too late man... Sorry... Have you watched the movie "Premonitions?"

8. iolair

iolair Active Member

If you want to write, WRITE. Start writing your story, see where it goes. At this stage, just get as much practice as possible.

There are two parts to writing - the creative process and the editing process. The creative process comes first and produces unreadable drivel. This is normal - don't worry about the quality of your writing (you can fix it later in the editing process). Just get on and WRITE.

9. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

My advice is:

"Don't be afraid of punctuation and spelling. They are more important than you think." ;-)
    "Write the book. At least 'rough it out' in a hundred pages or so of actual 81/2x11 (on the computer)."
    "We cannot tell if it is a good idea or not until you do it."

While you are at work or driving or getting ready for bed, start fantasizing about the story and its characters. Imagine them interacting, problem solving. Maybe imagine your male character trying to overcome his grief by visiting psychics and seance charlatans. Interviewing hippies and hobos who are 'off their meds' and people who are self medicating with psychedelics. That kind of daydreaming. Him trying to find someone who can see her or act as a go between.

Make the characters out of your parents or some couple you know (but change their names) so you already know how they react and what their personalities are.

If you get rid of whatever else you do, one day a week, you can probably write out the rough part in a month or so. Set a writing goal of x-number of words and stay at the computer until you get there. For instance, if you write 5,000 words a day, it will take you 7 days of writing to get to about 100 pages.

The model is, you write for one day and spend the rest of the week thinking about the next day's writing, in your spare time. When your friends say "Hey bro! Let's go drinking!" That's a perfect time to say "Sorry dude, I have to work." and go home and write :)

Some days the writing is like pulling teeth. You sit at the keyboard and struggle to make the writing interesting... Other days you look down and think maybe you are doing your math wrong... "Did I just write 12,000 words in five hours?!?! Why am I so hungry? I got two phone calls and messages; but why didn't I hear the phone ring?"