1. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Past or Future

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by colorthemap, Mar 12, 2011.

I have an idea, for a story(which I have started writing so relax a bit) about a group of people who are in the last city still controlled by their sovereign. Outside however is the enemy's army getting ready to charge them.

I just want to get the opinions of others here, do you think it should be a medieval-magical-fantasy setting or a sci-fi-alien-technological setting?

What would be more interesting to you?

And by all means if neither sounds more/less interesting just say so.

P.S: A modern setting will not work for what I have planned for this tale.

2. Yandos

Yandos New Member

Well... to be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter.

You'd be better off writing what you prefer to read as the biggest fan of your work will be you. If YOU think it will work better as Sci-fi but the trend is fantasy, and you go with fantasy, you won't give it your best.

You said you've already started writing, so in your mind you must have had an idea of the time setting to begin with. Stick to it, or if you had a mixed view then see if you can mix them.

But as you've said "Outside however is the enemy's army getting ready to charge them."
    I would guess this would be more of a fantasy story, as in Sci-fi armies don't tend to charge/storm stongholds (a laser minigun would make short work of them).

3. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

I was thinking(if you have played starcraft this may seem familiar) that they were on a type of moon base and aliens were/are sending constant waves of attackers.

4. Manav

Manav New Member

There lies your answer, nobody knows your plan, so nobody can answer this. Some who like sci-fi will say sci-fi, others will say medieval fantasy, and I say, why not modern setting?

5. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

I simply wanted opinions, I dis-counted modern setting due to the fact that it relies on a magic metal, and I'd rather not use oil.

6. Yandos

Yandos New Member

These types of games are the 21st century version of Chess, and Starcraft is a space version of the original Warcraft. In this age here we have the capabilities of pressing a red button and wiping an entire country out. So in the future, there is a far higher likelihood of being far more efficient in warfare. It would make no sense to continually send wave after wave of troops to conquer a stronghold.

Think of it like this, you slip poison in their drink, not hit them over the head with it!

7. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Oh well I've decided mid-evil anyway.

BTW: we would need launch codes and a valid reason.

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Who's going to ask for the reason after the country's been destroyed? Or rather, what reason is there that makes the destruction of a whole country valid? :)

9. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Meh, us Americans have been doing it to our selfs for years, it mist be fun or something. :D

but really, the way i see it is this

in the past would be more "correct"
    how ever the person who said you push a bouton and you can wipe out evreyone

as weapons of destruction grow
    so do weapons of defense

so if you do it right it could be done

10. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

It depends entirely on the aesthetic you're going for. Medieval sieges are won through disease and starvation but are broken by secret passages and royal trysts. Sci-fi sieges are won with big cannons and special agents but are broken devices and holes (warp, black, plot and otherwise)

11. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

How so? Just because Mongolia flung plague victims into a fortress does not mean that was the norm actually quite the contrary.

It is unimportant now however I have decided actually may make them two different stories entirely.

Thanks.