1. Awz

Awz Member

Grammar Need some capitalization help!

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Awz, May 16, 2017.

So my main WIP is based around objects known as the Stars of Valo (not the final name, this will change). Valo is a place, the stars are physical objects that can be touched, they are an import part of the plot. Would I always capitalize the Stars of Valo? As Valo is a place I get that. What if I'm referring to them as simply "the Stars"? do I capitalize stars?

Thanks

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't capitalize "the Stars." That'll screw up like half of your imagery.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule for this. Seems like more of a style question. To me, lower-case makes them seem relatively more common or less important; capitalized makes them seem less common and/or more important. So are there like, thousands of these things lying around everywhere, or only like three of them?

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I'd capitalize them, to let the reader know that you're not talking about those incandescent gas globs in the sky, but something else.

5. Soapbox

Soapbox Member

You have to think about what else in the story is capitalized. I read something that capitalized body parts, names, places, ceremonies, etc. and it's too much. It breaks up the fluidity of reading. It wouldn't hurt to capitalize 'the Stars' as long as it's not mentioned in every other sentence. If other things are, consider cutting those back and only big-letter Stars of Valo. We capitalize Milk Way Galaxy...

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Capital Letters, The Moon and The Sun
    In my experience authors are more likely to call our sun the sun, while you will almost always see astronomers calling our sun the Sun.

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I prefer the term "yellow face" myself....

8. Awz

Awz Member

Thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to capitalize. They are mentioned regularly but I don't think it'll be too much. Robert, there are seven of them.