Pen Name

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Leaka, Dec 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. forgotenmemory

forgotenmemory New Member

Ohhhh. That names awesome. ^^

2. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

I don't use a pen name as it always seemed like being ashamed of your work or something. Some publishers will suggest using a pen name or abreviations to female writers depending on the particular genre.

3. flute_dreamer

flute_dreamer New Member

My pen name is Raika Mikata. I was in either high school or college when I made it up. I came up with Raika on my own; Mikata was taken from a character of mine whose name was supposed to have some weird reference to water. (I thought I was being *original* when I came up with Raika, but I googled it later and found it it's also the name of a leather company AND another artist. It made me sad.)

My full pen name is Raika Evan Mikata. I chose this because the initials would be R.E.M... aka rapid eye movement. I love dreams, and my story is based on them. I thought it'd be great if I could publish my story and have such a name on it....

Well, perhaps I am dreaming... :p

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Using a pen name is not being ashamed of your work at all. But in my case, I write horror, and children's stories. Now would you want to buy children's books, when the author has written something about how a young child was hacked to pieces by one of their parents and fed to the child's siblings? I think not!

I think pen names are actually good in my case. So I can still write a children's story and a horror piece (plus the lighter stuff as well) and keep both areas separated from each other.

Also, I have never come across a publisher yet that has suggest FEMALE writers should use a pen name or obreviations for certain genres. Though I haven't crossed paths with every publisher out there as yet. I don't see how sex matters though.

5. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I've heard of it happening. That's why David Eddings's wife's name isn't on most of his earlier books, because the editor told them that. I get the impression that it happens more in science fiction and fantasy than other places.

6. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Mia Cole is my pen name. Once upon a tragic teenaged time it was Mea Primal

7. slippingfrenchgirl

slippingfrenchgirl New Member

eh ??

are we talking about nicknames ??

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

No. Pen names. A pen name is the name a writer uses for publication instead of using their actual name. You still have to give the publisher your real name, but your work is published under a false name, called a pen name, only if you ask them to do so.

9. slippingfrenchgirl

slippingfrenchgirl New Member

cool thnks... well in that case I'll get thinking:)

10. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

pen name = Soujiro Seta

coolest name ever

11. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

Don't use a pen name, never saw the need to. The only problem with my name is the length, and then again, how many authors have my name? So, yeah, no Pen Name.

12. Plushii

Plushii New Member

If I ever do get published, be it for illustration or writing, I'm going under the name "Kaci Folland".

I don't know...that name is just so much more me than my real name.

13. smeeks

smeeks New Member

my pen name is Jude Michaels. We had to come up with one in my English class last term. Fun for the imagination. One suggestion I was given was to take the middle names of family members and mash them together until you like it.

14. VictorP

VictorP New Member

i gots a pen name! its Victor Perry. I managed to pick it up from one of my first-person stories. I circulated it around the school with no name because i didnt want to get in trouble but i heard so many people talk about it i started leaving more stories around the school using Victor Perry as my pen name. its so sad ill be leaving high school so soon. (they still havent figured it out:cool:)

15. Kratos

Kratos New Member

That is pretty cool, actually.:cool:

16. RedMatrix

RedMatrix New Member

What about just changing one letter from "alex moon" to Apex Moon? Or how about Tuxedo Moon? ;)

Monsieur Moon sounds good in French.
    Solar Moon sounds poetic.
    Rip Moon
    Newman Moon new man on the moon
    Alex Luna a little Spanish in the mix
    Una Luna one moon
    Master Luna
    Rigel Moon/Luna
    Sid Moon
    Conner Moon double letters in the first name to match the o-o
    Red Moon

...but I digress.

I don't think about pen names. However, I am thinking about changing my legal name to David Diamond Wolf. (or alternate spellings)

17. wildflower

wildflower New Member

I'm not sure about a pen name. Sometimes I think it would be great to see a book published in my own name. It would be something I could be proud of and be displayed for the whole world.

On the other hand, sometimes I think I would like to stay anonymous. So my pen name would be Elizabeth Thornton.

Elizabeth is my middle name; Thornton - i just like it (named after chocolate maker and the hero in North and South)

18. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

I think mine should be Ant Ben Yosef or Antonius. Ive had an interest in Hebrew and latin names

19. thelastblueberry

thelastblueberry New Member

In my imagination. Not always a good thing...
    Madam Moon sounds cool! But it sounds like a woman's name, not a guy's. So if you don't want your gender to be confused with a woman's then I would suggest you change it.

I actually was thinking about this the other day and I came up with the name J. M. Berry for myself. J stands for the name of my favorite author, M for my favorite book, and Berry because I just really like berries. =) It sounds kinda weird though... I dunno.

20. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I actually use my first initals when writing (C.M. Rumpole) and never for any other reason.

21. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Yes...I had to because my married name was Williams...Yeah, I don't think I was writing under the name "Robin Williams"....LOL

My pen name is ~ R.L. McSean

22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Pen names?

I was thinking about a lot of famous authors and their pen names--Dr. Seuss, Mark Twain, etc--and it got me to thinking: Are pen names a good idea? Would you want your work to be forever associated with a name that's not really yours? Or is it a great idea?

23. eliza490

eliza490 New Member

The only reason I would use a pen name would be if I didn't want people to know I had written a certain piece, so pen names kind of have a negative connotation for me. Maybe that's just me, but I would probably never use one.
    ~Eliza

24. seta

seta New Member

If I have to use a pen name it will be "Paul Sly" - an old inside joke about a fictitious special agent.

It got started because my signature is horribly sloppy, and if you don't know my real name, the best you can decipher my signature to be is "Paul Sly".

Any time I had to sign for anything, the cry was "Paul Sly strikes again!" - to put into perspective how bad this is, my real last name is 3 syllables.

25. Ferb

Ferb New Member

If only I could write my last name as an initial (I don't know if it's allowed, actually), I wouldn't have had to use a pen name.