Tags:
  1. ECgirl19

ECgirl19 New Member

Pen names

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by ECgirl19, May 21, 2019.

Hi All, I am new to writing and writing forums.

I have considered using a pen name for my books which are unpublished at present.
    I was wondering, why do people use a pen name?
    What are the pros and cons to them?

Sorry If this topic has been covered many times.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

I haven't published anything yet (outside of professional articles for my day job), but if/when I do, I will use a pen name. This is for both professional reasons (want to keep writing and day job separate) and personal reasons (my writing draws heavily from my life and prefer to maintain some semblance of privacy [to the extent anyone ever reads my stuff besides my husband]).

3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I use a pen name because I write Romance books with explicit sexual content, and for personal and professional reasons I don't need that getting associated with my real name. Also, my real last name is not terribly elegant and difficult to pronounce, so even if I wrote G-rated stuff I'd probably use a pseudonym anyway.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I want my name on my works. I've worked hard to get things published. I think I deserve the credit. And I've upset some people with things I've published, but so what? It was good enough to publish. F--- the haters. They don't have their names on published works and I do. I've worked so so hard to get my work out there. And getting my name out there is also part of it. It is my dream to be literary famous. And literary famous is a lot different than commercial famous. I'm finally at a stage where my creative writing is getting noticed and some attention. This is what I've wanted for a long time. If there was a pen name on my stuff, I think I would feel like I was missing out. This is me. This is my work. I don't care if I have the best name or not, but my byline is real and that's important to me.

Richach likes this.
  5. Damage718

Damage718 New Member

I can see it this way.

I can see it the other way too.

That's why I'm a little torn on it. I personally have been published in several magazines, newspapers and websites, plus trade journals and other sources for my professional career - all under my real name. If I publish a book, would it help or harm me to use a pen name? Since I've been published many times under my real name, wouldn't that help (at least intangibly) with credibility for publishing a book? Part of me wants to keep my book writing and other writing separate by using different names. But another part of me wants to say 'yes, I wrote ALL these different things, for different sources, it's what I do'...and own it.

Again, torn here :cool:

6. ECgirl19

ECgirl19 New Member

A lot to think about there. Thankyou everyone. I read the early posts so came up with a pen name for myself. Then I read the latter posts and you have got me thinking now? It's a tough one. :confused:

7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Today is a publication day for me. What's out there is the most personal thing I've ever written. I feel like it's my soul on the page. I will admit it's scary a little. Anyone who googles me now can read about my life in a way I've never presented it. I had the support of a good editor and publisher. I never thought about a pen name, but I did question how far I would take this. I went all the way. Held back nothing. I'm not sure how it will be received or what will happen, but I do feel good. I'm proud of my work and I'm proud my name is on this work. For me, I think using a pen name would have been a mistake. This is my career and things are starting to take off. I'm not Joe Shmo. I'm deadrats!!! Of course, my published work has my real name on it. But here I'm deadrats. Seriously, I feel very exposed, but I also feel like I have a voice and something to say. I don't want to hide behind anything. Scary or not, I worked hard for this. I'm ready for this. Whatever comes of it, it came from me.

HeathBar and Earp like this.
  8. Richach

Richach Member Supporter

I dont have any real opinions on this (as usual) but I would say that having your own name on your work means it better be good. Blogs, websites, articles and books. It is usually there forever with the internet once people interact with it, as is the case CWF, it cannot be taken down.

On myy own writing blog on wordpress I am finding is affecting the way I write or at least post.

I agree with Rats, I want my name on my works too.

deadrats likes this.