1. victo

victo Active Member

last one

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by victo, Jun 20, 2015.

Last question today. Without rephrasing (written exactly as they are presented below), does the punctuation work in each of these?

The questions 'Who?', 'What?', 'When?', 'Where?', 'How?' and 'Why?' remain unanswered.

The investigator's 'Did you do it?', 'How did you do it?' and 'Why did you do it?' questions unnerved Ralph.

His 'a's look like '8's.

I'm tired of his 'thank-you's, 'I love you's and 'maybe's.

John said, "He used too many 'as's and 'is's in that last paragraph."

2. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

The questions 'Who?', 'What?', 'When?', 'Where?', 'How?' and 'Why?' remain unanswered.
    I'd remove the question marks.

The investigator's 'Did you do it?', 'How did you do it?' and 'Why did you do it?' questions unnerved Ralph.
    The investigator's, 'did you do it, how did you do it, and why did you do it' questions unnerved Ralph.
    Again, remove question marks. You don't really need the speech marks, either, but that's your choice. I'm sure there is a better way to word these questions to be honest, like making them into single clauses separated by a period rather than a comma. The fact that you state they are questions in the final clause would signify that you don't need to include the question marks.

His 'a's look like '8's.
    This one is tricky. If anything, I'd suggest removing the speech marks, but not really sure. Maybe Wreyries can shed some light on it.

I'm tired of his 'thank-you's, 'I love you's and 'maybe's.
    Again, removing the speech marks would be fine. You could always put in the Oxford Comma before 'and' as well, but that's your choice.

John said, "He used too many 'as's and 'is's in that last paragraph."
    I think this is actually fine to be honest, but I'd really change the sentence structure to something more ideal; for example, He used as and is too many times in that last paragraph. That way I feel the sentence conveys the message a lot clearer without the use of the speech marks.

On a final note, you should really get a second opinion on these because I'm a little unsure about a couple of them.