1. Dan Rhodenizer

Dan Rhodenizer New Member

What font should you use to know you have a true full page?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Dan Rhodenizer, Aug 2, 2007.

Well what font and sized font do you use to know that you have a true full page that would translate into a full page on novel pages? Thanks, I'm curious to see if anyone knows.

2. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this because there are a number of differenet page sizes and fonts used. Generally, publishers use seriff fonts, so your times new romans and palatinos. Sometimes, publishers will use sans-seriffs like tahoma and arial. I would assume that these fonts are size 12 or below, sometimes even 9 or 10, as in paperbacks.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what you should be using is one of the two agent/publisher-acceptable fonts... either courier [which i find to be the most universally acceptable], or times new roman [too small to read comfortably for long mss, imo]...

with 1" margins all around, proper indenting and no line spaces other than where line break called for, those will give you the average of about 250 words per page that is standard in the writing world...

4. Dan Rhodenizer

Dan Rhodenizer New Member

Ok thanks, because I'm currently using "Courier New", so should I just stick with that?

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

From what I've heard, Courier New is accepted. I believe most of the Courier family is.

6. WriterJohnB

WriterJohnB New Member

Dan,

I don't believe you can anticipate, but for an accurate word count, here's what I go by to get 250 words to the page, using MS word. (This is from Jenna Petersen at The Passionate Pen)

Set margins to 1" all around (file, margins)

Set to exactly 25 lines per page (file, paragraph, indents and spacing, set spacing at "exactly 25)

Turn off widows and orphans (same section as line spacing, line and page break options)

use Courier, Courier New or Courier Dark, 12 pt.

Now you can count the number of pages, (I subtract the number of chapters since each chapter starts on half-page and usually doesn't have full page at end, but I'm not sure that's necessary), multiply by 250 and get a word count that's considered much more accurate than MS word counting.

For more details, go to

The Passionate Pen Presents ... Formatting Your Manuscript

Take care,

JohnB

7. Neo

Neo Member

Most publishers accept Times New Roman exclusively. I think...

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not really... though some may insist on that in their submission guidelines, if it's not specifically mandated, either one will be acceptable...

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

times new roman is probably the standard, though as mammamia said, it really depends.