1. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Penalties for traffic accidents

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Alesia, Nov 6, 2019.

Does anyone know where I can find information on what the possible penalties are for causing a car accident while driving drunk that results in the death of another driver? The character in question would have been 17 at the time. I'm not sure how much that changes things or if in that case most states would opt to try as an adult. Any help would be appreciated.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

If I understand US law correctly, a minor cannot own a car, so the car's co-owner might be liable, depending on the circumstances of the accident.

4. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

What i was thinking by asking here was that there might be someone with real life legal experience. Google os all fine and good but half the stuff you find there is 50/50 on reliability or truthfulness.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

your best bet would probably be a police forum for the state you are interested in, or just contacting the police in the relevant area and asking directly... your chances of finding someone with specific law enforcement experience for the same state as your story on a writers forum are pretty small... especially if you don't tell us which state

off the top of my head i can't think of any cops in the current regular membership ...steerpike is a lawyer but I think he works mostly in IP law. Privateer was a cop but we haven't seen him lately