1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

modern substitute for telegrams?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Tesoro, Sep 11, 2011.

Is there in these days any way you can recieve a message, letter or other important information while staying at hotels if you don't have a cellphone or access to a public phone? or does people don't use this kind of comunication anymore? I especially wonder how it works in the UK nowadays, especially in the countryside where it might be a long way to the closest big city.

2. AMasonCarpenter

AMasonCarpenter New Member

Interestingly, email uses many of the same technologies developed for the telegraph. In the case of your problem, I would say the call comes to the hotel, and the bellhop is sent to knock on the person's door. If the hotel has no phone, perhaps the constable runs the message.

3. Tesoro

Ok, thanks. my guess was either fax or some kind of mail but since I have never encountered this situation while staying at a hotel I wasn't sure which. This is a modern story but i want it to give a feeling of lost times, like the way you can feel when in the countryside where not much has changed in the last 50 years or more. a feeling of being cut off from the civilisation.

4. evelon

evelon Active Member

There's always the good old British Mail, if you're not in a big rush. There's messenger services but they can work out expensive. Basically, if you do find yourself without cellphone, public phone, email or a carrier pigeon, you're stuffed! You're also in a very inferior hotel. And don't ask a constable unless you want a ticket for wasting police time. And even in the countryside you'll find things have, in fact, changed. Even in Britain the yokels have electric!

5. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

You can still send telegrams, by personal messenger, you can find companies for this via google. Or I'm sure a letter or parcel would get delivered to a country hotel guest as long as an FAO name is on the envelope, either via Royal Mail as standard or by courier.

Or yes, fax could work if that kind of technology is ok- lots of businesses here use fax.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Many hotels will receive faxes for guests. I have stayed at at least one that received an email for me.

7. Tesoro

thank you guys! :)

8. Croga

Croga New Member

I was in The Aran Islands and all the mail was flown in and then Delivered by hand.
    Some people had phones but they were business owners so you would either take your call in the local pub or shop or it would be hand delivered.

9. Tesoro

:D wow, that's so cool.