Periods??

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Nicoel, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

This would be my signature line if I were so inclined.

matwoolf, KaTrian and GuardianWynn like this.
  2. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

I think everyone posting here would agree with the idea of deep. Fucking Fight me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I don't have a problems with girls having girl problems and I don't have a problem with buying them things. I'd prefer if people didn't talk about it over lunch, but other than that, it seems like a perfectly normal thing someone should be able to address in a book, though I've only ever had anyone mention their cervix to me like once and it had nothing to do with their period. I do kinda have a question, though. Like 10 years ago, I had a girlfriend that was in a car crash and while she was in hospital, she was worried because she actually skipped her period. The doctor said it was normal under the circumstances, so I thought that when someones seriously injured, the body just naturally stops that to put the body's energy towards healing like some other mammals do. But after trying to research it, I really can't find much information on in. So, guess the question is, is that like an actual thing or was it like the drugs or something. Seems like something I should know if I plan on writing some kick ass female characters.

4. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I find it kind of funny that I noticed 2 points reading all the replies.

Yours in the sense that it doesn't matter. Or isn't notable because of her injuries.

And @Catrin Lewis point about it being even more important because of her injuries.

Granted I think we all agree. If you have a sword in your stomach, no one is going. "But I need a new pad!" but then again that isn't the situation being presented.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

The period's a great idea. Woman warrior wounded in the snow...and she's on her period. It will get the sympathies of the men, at the least. It helps add vulnerability to the character. Probably only worth a line though.

Nicoel likes this.
  6. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I do a lot of female characters, and I don't even get into that. Mostly because I don't see the point.

Xboxlover likes this.
  7. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

I think it's a bad idea to include this. I agree that comes off as an agenda and that it will rip your readers out of the story, may even piss them off and drive them away from finishing it. As a female the only reason I would excuse a scene like this using Borgia as an example: Lucrezia's coming of age scene. "Momma" She screams and is crying out in fear she is bleeding. Her mom explains to her the coming of age and it is a pivotal scene for her. In doing so shows that she can now be used as a pawn in daddy's political game. A marriage pawn.

The loss of blood from such wounds can compound on top a menstrual cycle and create a death threat problem. A physician would need to deal with this issue in real life. It's a very serious threat.
    I wouldn't push it.

8. AustinFrom1995

AustinFrom1995 Active Member

Thinking about it, you don't here too much about periods in stories, especially action stories. Your character fights in the nude right? I'm not a girl so I don't know the ins and outs of periods like a girl would. How would she be able to deal with the bleeding? I'm not criticizing or anything, I'm just asking.

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It sticks in my mind that Joe Abercrombie deals with this in a couple of his books, but I can't pinpoint which ones. However, several of his books have female main characters who are warriors, so I think that's where I saw mention of this. Apparently the women think it's one hell of a nuisance ...and I think one of them tries to disguise it because she's passing herself off as a boy. But my memory isn't clear, as it's been a while since I read these books. However, I do remember thinking ...yeah. Of course they would have menstrual cycles. Good that he's dealing with the issue.

Myrrdoch and GuardianWynn like this.
  10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

'Arthur, our Queen Mortica lyeth mortally wounded in yonder drift.'

'Mortally?' said Arthur.

'I think so sire, she moaneth and complaineth most bitterith...'

'Aye squire, and I thank you most graciously. I shall tend to her despair, provideth hot chocolate, Hello magazinth, and later I shall woe my lady at wombside.'

'I don't think so, m'lud.'

'You juth watch me, heh heh, heh heh, heh.'

Fernando.C and pyroglyphian like this.