Personal Racism-check

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Bakkerbaard, Jun 2, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Back in school, a nickname we had for a Sudanese friend of ours was "Mama Afriki" - Mama Afrika in Arabic, I went to school in the Middle East, we had a lot of Arab kids there.

Our friend didn't mind, he just went with it, but now I look back on it, that was incredibly racist, and I wouldn't call someone anything like that now.

Even if the recipient isn't offended by it, others might be. And even if both people are find with it themselves, others who don't understand the dynamic might be offended by it.

But honestly? I think it just makes the white girl sound like a brainless airhead.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  2. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    ....Im Gonna keep it that way .. Just so you can keep that victory ;)

..Really? ..lol.. Sorry the obvious nature of that is kind of funny. It's like saying I went to the beach and there was a lot of water there.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  3. Naomasa298

Well, you may find it funny, but I went to an international school, and they mostly catered to the children of expats, not locals. We only had two actual local kids in my year.

4. Aceldama

The bible
    No I mean, why wouldn't there be a majority of Arab kids in a school in the middle East?

5. Naomasa298

They were there to primarily serve expats. It was a British school, most of the kids were either British or from British Commonwealth countries like India and Pakstan. Arab children were in the minority, although the current Emir of Qatar was a classmate of my brother.

That's not uncommon with international schools in many countries, they primarily serve non-nationals.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. Aceldama

The bible
    Oh, Okay. Fricking British. Dipping thier toes in everywhere lol.

7. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I went to elementary school italy.... No local kids there:whistle:

8. Aceldama

The bible
    There was no Italians?

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

These could be something like military schools, for families who travel regularly around the world but need to keep attending school taught in their own language. Schools on a military base would be for these families, not for locals.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  10. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Then it wouldn't be an Italian elementary school, it would be an American one.

11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I suppose it comes down to what J. T. meant by elementary school italy. But an elementary school in Italy doesn't necessarily mean an Italian school.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

this thread seems to be wandering off topic somewhat... just sayin

13. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

It's not an issue. Racism as a theme is not the same as racism as a virtue.

14. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Apologies... Typing on my phone is a real pain!! I realize a few words didnt go through... "an" and "in"....

Also, sorry @big soft moose

15. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

What are some of the other nicknames the character has bestowed on people? We may be able to figure out one that would be in character for her without being naively racist/insulting.

Rzero likes this.
  16. Naomasa298

But perhaps being naively racist *is* part of her character. I'm sure we all know someone like that.

Aceldama and Rzero like this.
  17. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

It may very well be, but at that point the question becomes how to portrait that without making it 'ok'. Though that could make a good character arc for her.

18. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

To me racism is calling someone a name based on their skin colour that is meant to offend or show hate/disrespect. I had a black friend who called me "white chocolate" and I called him "coco". He also took the mick out of me because my skin colour was so fair I burned if I just looked at sunlight. We were tormented each other sometimes accidentally. I remember once I was tormenting him about fancying a girl and I said: "He's lying look how red he's gone." He never let me forget that.

As long as no offence is taken by the other person and your comments are harmless and they know it I don't see it as racism. Maybe others would disagree. I wasn't offended and never am when I get called names for being white, because racism doesn't just extend to people with darker skin colours. I just don't care what others think. But some people are more sensitive.

19. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

It's not the words, it's the intent that matters but today, there are a lot of people who don't care about intent, they are just complaining about the words so they can pretend to be virtuous, even though they don't understand the problem.

I entirely ignore those people.

20. tropicanahana

tropicanahana Member

I want to just add from my experience, as a white person who has dated exclusively non-white people, comparing skin to food is cheesy, but it happens and it’s a two way street - if my skin gets compared to food, then I will reciprocate. These are intimate relationships though, I wouldn’t want my friends to call me peaches and cream and I’m not gonna call them “mocha choca latte” - especially if we aren’t bosom buddies!

Plus, I have had a few dates tell me they didn’t like white ppl describing them anything to do with chocolate - they want to be liked and attractive for more than skin color. But everyone is different bc I’ve had three relationships where comparing skin to a desert was regularly apart of the flirtation, so i know it can’t be that uncommon.

Personally, I would pick another nick name for you character to use publicly and save hot chocolate for the bedroom lol.

Bakkerbaard and J.T. Woody like this.
  21. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I was actually listening to a cover of "You Sexy Thing" when I read your post.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter. I appreciate the input that people keep giving, but the matter has already been resolved somewhere around post five.
    And the story works just fine without a nickname for the Nigerian girl.

Actually, I'm just going with an abbreviation of the girl's name, which works fine. Her nickname is Naj now, short for Najia, which would have been the more accurate "Naija", but with "ij" being more or less a letter in Dutch, it just went all screwy in my and my girlfriend's head.
    Anyway, nicknames. Charlene (trailer park white) calls one girl (white) gets called "Dirtbag", because she just comes across as dirty. You know the kind of person, even right after a shower, they just look... dirtier somehow. That, and she's not afraid to get dirty for real either.
    Another girl is "Treehugger", because, obviously, she's a bit of a hippie.
    The main character got bestowed upon herself "Princess", first because she seemed to think she was better, but later because Charlene fell in love with her.
    Then there's the really short one she calls "Munchkin".
    And there's one she calls "Bitch". But I don't think that counts as a nickname.

I dunno. True, I pulled Charlene right out of a trailer park, of which the stereotype would dictate, amongst things, she is racist by nature, but that's just not what's happening between the girls. Race, heritage, wealth, that's just not something they judge each other on. They've know each other for years by the time we get into the story. They know that even when Charlene should go a little overboard, they can just call her out on it and she'll apologize earnestly.

So, anyway. Y'all a re welcome to keep suggestions coming, but the issue has already been resolved.

22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

In that case
    :closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.