1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Personality Types

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Aug 3, 2011.

I was wondering how many here are familiar with the Myers-Briggs Jungian personality type test? It is quite an interesting concept, that people have at least a slight preference for one of two sensory and behavioral pathways. In the Myers-Briggs model, there are four areas of distinction in anyone's personality, and that leads to 16 total personality types. Have you heard of this, and do you know which type you fit into? You can google it to find out if you don't already know. So if you are curious, check it out. I am an ISTJ by the way.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I knew about these personality types already, but I did that test and got this:

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Ok, I got INFP.

# very expressed introvert
    # moderately expressed intuitive personality
    # moderately expressed feeling personality
    # slightly expressed perceiving personality

There's a wall of text explaining "my personality", which I mostly disagreed with. It said I was a healer who sacraficed alot for others, which is bull. However, it did say I'm a contemplative introvert who is also an idealist, and never loses that sense of "wonder" about the world. In relation to my childhood, apparently I consider myself an ugly duckling. I have used that description before, so I suppose it isn't wrong.

My career paths were:

.Counselling
    .Religious Education
    .Education
    .Humanities
    .Web design
    .Musician
    .Literature/writer (YAY!)
    .Archaeology
    .Psychology/psychotherapist

The famous people I allegedly relate to are:

Princess Diana, Michel de Montaigne, J.K. Rowling, Anton Chekhov

OoOOOOo.

More famous people I "share" my personality with (This is hilarious) It's long so I'll put it in a spoiler:

Homer
    Virgil
    Mary, mother of Jesus
    St. John, the beloved disciple
    St. Luke; physician, disciple, author
    William Shakespeare, bard of Avon
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Evangeline)
    A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
    Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie)
    Helen Keller, deaf and blind author
    Carl Rogers, reflective psychologist, counselor
    Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers' Neighborhood)
    Dick Clark (American Bandstand)
    Donna Reed, actor (It's a Wonderful Life)
    Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis
    Neil Diamond, vocalist
    Tom Brokaw, news anchor
    James Herriot (All Creatures Great and Small)
    Annie Dillard (Pilgrim at Tinker Creek)
    James Taylor, vocalist
    Julia Roberts, actor (Conspiracy Theory, Pretty Woman)
    Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap)
    Terri Gross (PBS's "Fresh Air")
    Amy Tan (author of The Joy-Luck Club, The Kitchen God's Wife)
    John F. Kennedy, Jr.
    Lisa Kudrow ("Phoebe" of Friends)
    Fred Savage ("The Wonder Years")
    Fictional INFPs:
    Anne (Anne of Green Gables)
    Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
    Deanna Troi (Star Trek - The Next Generation)
    Wesley Crusher (Star Trek - The Next Generation)
    Doctor Julian Bashir (Star Trek: Deep Space 9)
    Bastian (The Neverending Story)
    E.T.: the ExtraTerrestrial
    Doug Funny, Doug cartoons
    Tommy, Rug Rats cartoons
    Rocko, Rocko's Modern Life cartoons

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm INFJ.

You are:
    slightly expressed introvert
    distinctively expressed intuitive personality
    moderately expressed feeling personality
    moderately expressed judging personality

Apparently.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

That does not make sense. Nobody knows what they were like.

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I know! lol.

My favourites from my list are Doug Funny and E.T. Actually, I loved all the fictional characters. Nice to know I'm just like Tommy from The Rugrats. :confused:

7. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

INTJ

Like Stephen Hawking and Hillary Clinton, evidently

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Haha, funny the famous people you got, Ashleigh. :p

I've taken some of these tests before, and half the time I don't even know the answers to the questions but anyway, I got ISTP.

As for careers, I got computer programming, engineering, technology education, mechanics/automotive repair, law, counselling, librarian (YAY!). So apart from the latter, what on earth?! I'm not that technical or sciencey or anything.

9. CosmicHallux

CosmicHallux New Member

I like this personality test. I'm ENFP.

So is Ariel, the Little Mermaid! I knew it! I felt the call of the sea when I was just a child!--But then, Steve Irkle is also ENFP. How do I reconcile those two images?

According to what I read, "One study has shown that ENFPs are significantly overrepresented in psychodrama." This explains my emerging desire to have several different aliases and a collection of wigs and mustaches.

10. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Is this supposed to be comforting? I got ISTJ:

distinctively expressed introvert
    slightly expressed sensing personality
    moderately expressed thinking personality

I laughed myself into a coughing fit. A few weeks back, my supervisor told me "F**king smile, or put a bag over your head. You're f**king depressing the s**t out of me, Marranda." It's a regular joke around here that I was born scowling...

And I find it funny that it lists Eeyore from Whinnie the Pooh as a fictional ISTJ , because Eeyore was my favorite Pooh character growing up. And by favorite, I mean stuffed animals, stickers, blankets, PJ's, sweaters, socks, and watch.

Interesting stuff. Before this thread post, I haven't heard of it. Thanks!

11. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I got a ISTP Being a Distinctly expressed introvert, and slightly expressed sensing, thinking and percieving personality..
    Oooh! It says that 60 percent of the introverts in the world are GIFTED! It explains my shooting ability :p

12. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I took it a couple of years ago and got INFP. Introverted, intuitive, feeling, and perceptive.
    But I took it again a few weeks ago (without realizing I was taking it; I thought I was filling out some personality test for a job) and got INFJ. Judging instead of perceptive. Not too different I guess.

13. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I've heard of it. I am an INTJ, The Mastermind or The Scientist. What a surprise... ;)

INTJs are often seen as snobbish, sometimes cold, and have high expectations for themselves and others... Tend to think before they feel and value logic more than emotions. That's me. :p

I put no value in this though... I remember I met a guy who I rather liked when all the sudden he asked me out of the blue if I knew my type. I said I was an INTJ. He got really excited and said that INTJs and ENFPs (which is what he was) get along best of all the personality types and generally have high success in relationships and marriage.

Yeah, I began planning an immediate exit strategy as soon as that one came out of his mouth! :D

14. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

INTJ is one of the rarer types, I believe it comprises less than 5% of the population. ISTJ on the other hand is significantly more common, moreso among males percentage-wise, at something like 12% or so. I find the description fits me the best of the 16 types listed, so I find that in general this test is fairly accurate.

As for historical figures and listing them into the categories, I agree that it is speculative, but if you look into it a bit more, there is some solid basis for it. Isaac Newton is often suggested as an INTJ, for example, and if you have ever read a biography of him, you would probably be inclined to agree with that assessment.

15. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Intj

Lol, I had Gandalf the Grey as a fictional character that shares my personality. That made me chuckle.

16. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Some of my fictional suggestions for an ISTJ include Batman, Eeyore (Winne the Pooh), Darth Vader, and Spock. I would tend to agree with some of those I think.

17. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

INFP

Apparently we make good writers/artists so I was a little surprised there was only one other person the same on this thread. Although that said we are a rare breed :)

Came across the Myers Briggs test a few weeks ago and it seems quite an interesting concept - not too sure I like the fact people can be grouped quite so easily though I guess it could help a little creating fictional characters.

18. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I got ISFJ

slightly expressed introvert
    moderately expressed sensing personality
    moderately expressed feeling personality

19. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Aww, I suddenly feel so much more at home amongst so many of my INTJ brethren. Funny someone just posted this, because I was interested to know myself. Seems my suspicions on an abnormal number of introverts was confirmed, but that's more or less a given on a writing forum.

And for those INTJs amongst us, you should go find the INTJ forum and check it out; I'd post a link, but I'm not sure whether or not that's against rules here.

In the meantime, keep masterminding, and basking in the glow of our own superiority whilst plotting the overthrow of the world.

20. Sundae

Sundae New Member

You know, when I first read the description of of INJT, I was amazed at how eerily accurate it was of my personality.

Especially the parts where it talked about constantly acquiring knowledge because we know what we know, but more than that, we also know what we DON'T know and so we're always seeking to fill those gaps.

Also the seeming endless capacity to constantly improve upon anything was like a lighting strike.

I also found the leadership roles to be pretty accurate. We make good leaders but choose to be in the background and instead influence from there, but if we need to lead, we lead and lead powerfully. I've always been like that. I rather not lead, but if I need to take charge, I take it and I make sure things happen as efficiently as possible.

The whole thing was like reading a profile of myself, never knew a personality test to be that accurate, but maybe it's also me reading into things, who knows.

For some reason, Brain from Pinky & the Brain popped into my head when I read this.

I don't think I read anything about superiority or masterminding. Mastermind yes, masterminding, no. :p

21. Liza

Liza Active Member

However hard I try, I'm always INFP, and perfectly happy with that. I need to be a writer, and I quite like... Most of my personality. Although, I took some other personality test (SLOAN?) and 'twas horrible. Everything was so... Depressing, and I think there's a lot more to people than that, even the Jung test, it's just a general type, but usually accurate.
    (*Does not know what she is trying to say*)

22. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Yet, typical for an INFP, you managed to say something that conveyed your thoughts quite well.

And yes, while there is always a huge amount more to a person than merely their personality type, people of the same type still share a huge amount in common. (By the way, you wrote that post like an INFP, whether you realise it or not.)

23. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

INTJ.

I have a strong aversion for Myers-Briggs though, as I can't stand other INTJs who identify strongly with their type. The whole superiority complex/lack of social grace thing just turns me off.

24. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I'm the only ISTJ around here then. Feels a little lonely.

25. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Nope, J.P.Clyde, you missed me. I'm an ISTJ too... Just took the darn test a 2nd time to be sure.