1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Pertaining to Magic Setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by ToBeInspired, Feb 12, 2017.

In my novel, magic is only available in two forms. One of these I was terming as "racial" magic which means that every creatures, of the same species, would be born with a specific form of magic inherit only to them.

However, due to researching taxonomic classification, I've read that "race" is only mainly associated as a human classification. Instead there are species and subspecies with other classifications such as breeds.

My world has a vast selection of races and creatures. Many are unique only to the book I'm writing. My question is should I classify it as "Racial Magic" or perhaps term it differently, such as "Special" Magic? I have to say "Racial Magic" has a bit more of a nice ring to it. However, even something as ordinary as a rabbit would have a form of inherit magic. The magic is an evolutionary survival adaption just as the other form of magic serves as technological advancement.

Should I simply not give it a specific term and describe it as inherit magic unique to each species? At some point I will have to explain my magic system, any help will be appreciated. My system is simple, but the things that are most simple should be the ones most perfected.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, racial would be the wrong word. Are the animals all intelligent? Or can your equivalent of frogs and squirrels perform magic as well?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. ToBeInspired

All beings, for a lack of better term, are born with a magic that has helped shape them evolutionary wise. Even squirrels, in reality, have intelligence; it's merely limited.

The "magic" could be described as a substitute to genetic mutation. It replaces evolutionary traits bred through generations. It's a form of adaption to promote survival. Therefore all beings of a certain degree of sentience have a form of inherit magic.

I'm simply trying to figure out the best way to describe. My genre is heavy into token terms, so a label for this magic would be ideal.

4. Homer Potvin

Atavistic is the one term that comes to mind. Maybe "Atavisticism?" With a capital A?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. ToBeInspired

Unfortunately it doesn't work. It's not some form of ancient magic, but rather a substituion for genetic mutation. New species keep evolving and being born. It's continuous, a part of all time.

6. Homer Potvin

Hmmm... that's a tough one. Maybe just pick a word with a magical connotation. Like "Cantrip" or something. I'd say that the accuracy of its meaning is nowhere near as important as coming up with a cool phrase that people will remember. Something like "The Shining" only not that obviously.

7. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

How about innate or inborn magic?

Oscar Leigh and terobi like this.
  8. terobi

terobi Senior Member

I like the idea of "innate magic".

"Racial" kinda gives off the wrong impression I think.

While not used in a taxonomic sense, the word "race" is still used when talking about sapient species other than humans. I believe this originally stems from the biblical study of near-human races who were believed to exist in various parts of the world, such as monopods, and there was a debate at the times as to whether those races would be sufficiently human-like as to require preaching to. Tolkien later used this word to describe his near-human species, and fantasy ran with it. So you're not using the word race incorrectly here.

The trouble is, I think using the word "racial" might have certain connotations to real-world politics that you might not want.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. ToBeInspired

Ya, it has a fantasy base and Tolkien has all my searches showing "fantasy races."

Innate magic, with a description might work. I'll work on it and post it later.

You sound kind of racist and homophobic. Even if you're being sarcastic "annoying gay people" is pretty immature for the 21st century.

My book is cyberpunk sci-fantasy, for lack of a better term. Fantasy races are a common term, I'm just looking for the right description. I don't use the common, but here's an example.

Human, Elf, Dwarf. Would you call it races?

Also, I wanted different cultures in the same species to be able to adapt their original innate magic (evolving).

Still going to work on it, but what about something like this?

All sentient beings inherently have a form of unique innate magic; distinguished by culture, species, or race (?).

10. iRoppa

iRoppa Member

Intrinsic magic?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. PirateQueen27

PirateQueen27 New Member

Breed magic
    Sect magic
    Banded magic
    Kindred magic
    Parallel magic

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You use the word species, so why not use the word species? That is, species magic?

(Wow, that word looks funny after typing it three times.)

Oscar Leigh and Simpson17866 like this.
  13. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

@ToBeInspired Is "blood magic" already a thing in your world that means something else?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Legacy or inheritance magic?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. ToBeInspired

I want to thank everyone for replying, but I've decided to switch the novel from a high fantasy to a cyberpunk science fiction. It will still be a simulated reality work, but I decided to focus more on advanced technology than using magic to justify my world building.

As Arthur C. Clarke said, ""Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I will be taking components, that I dissected, and creating a separate WIP for NaNoWriMo. I tend to like to write more gritty, realistic novels. I'll take an anti-hero over a classic hero any day. For this project a cyberpunk science fiction just works better. Besides, my concept for my NaNoWriMo actually ended up being absorbed into my main WIP at one point. I took ideas I had for separate series, due to not being able to work on so many projects at once, and found ways to integrate them into a single series. It just felt a little forced at times, this is a much better situation.

16. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Well, he screwed off. Banned or deleted his post?

17. ToBeInspired

He must of deleted the post, he was active around twenty minutes ago. He's probably not really racist, more likely simply immature. At least he recognized his comment was in poor taste.

18. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Actually I don't have a problem with racial magic. It is limited to intelligent peoples, but there are different races of elves - eg dark elves, drow, high elves, wood elves etc so why not. The only problem I could see you having is the reader reaction if you started using actual races eg Caucasian. I think a lot of people might get upset if you started suggesting that white people have this magic and black people this other one. But look to Skyrim. They're fine with racial magic for different human races, eg Redguard, Nord, and Bretton. With animals I'd probably go with innate.

Cheers, Greg.