PewDiePie

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Pinkymcfiddle, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Probably because the internet wanted to find something new to get enraged about and decided this would be it. :p

2. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

he officially apologized for the sign a long time ago and agreed it went to far. If, at that point they had taken away his contract, I don't think I would be against the move. But it's only because it was sensationalized by the media recently, for all the wrong reasons, that they made the decision. I simply don't agree with the way they handled it, and seems like a political/PR move. if you endorse that type of behavior you endorse the political system that drives it as well.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Call me paranoid, but I think it's because the media wanted to boost up ratings and readers by painting themselves up to be this 'good guy' who rallied against a 'bigoted anti-Semitic'.

4. handsinthegarden

handsinthegarden Member

Well that's it, no? Admittedly I used to watch some of his stuff back in the day. He could, on occasion, be funny. The only thing that's a shocker here is the media.

Oscar Leigh and Megalith like this.
  5. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Isn't this pretty much the same as indiscriminate hatred? If this was reported on accurately it probably wouldn't even have been a story. Who do we blame more? The media for their terrible reporting, or the people who lash out and cause all this retribution without first checking if the claims validate the criticism?

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

What they've really accomplished is water down the whole meaning of nazi/anti-Semitic. People on social media throw these words around willy-nilly, alongside islamophobe, racist, sexist and misogynist, and at this point it feels like they don't really mean anything. Words such as those are etched in the branding iron the morality police flails around wildly, especially on Twitter. It has become a form of mental masturbation; I think these people actually derive some sick pleasure from joining in on the witch hunt calling people out.

7. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I agree entirely. But it is not just social media. I am reminded of the Ghostbusters remake, where (while there were clearly misogynistic sentiments aimed at the film) Sony and its agents (Paul Feig) - a corporation whose only motive is profit - tried to label any criticism of the film as misogynistic in an attempt to silence it. Firstly, it was deeply obnoxious that Hollywood, one of the most consistently misogynistic industries in the western world, felt it was in any position to lecture people on misogyny. Secondly, it was a reductive, trite film that only served to reinforce stereotypes rather than break them down, and as a result felt twenty years behind the times. In particular, it fared horribly when compared to another recent release, which had a female lead without resorting to showboating - namely The Force Awakens. In their single-minded pursuit of profit, Sony managed to turn a serious issue into a circus.

Oscar Leigh and KaTrian like this.