1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Philosophy Overview books

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Poziga, Feb 24, 2021.

Hello!

I read a couple of philosophy books in the past, some proved to be more difficult than others. What I would like to read now, is like an overview of world philosophies. If such a book exists, I feel like reading it now. :)

I have at home The World's Religions by Huston Smith so if there's anything like that on philosophy, I would be grateful for your recommendations.
    More precisely, I'm looking for a book that covers the world history of philosophy.

Thanks. :)

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  3. Poziga

Hey, thank you! Hopefully some other member will have recommendations for more global or at least non-western philosophy.

I heard about Russell's book, and that it's quite difficult. Didn't hear about the first two. I'll check them out. :)

Xoic likes this.
  4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'd be careful about Russell's book - would recommend it but with an asterisk. He put a lot of his own thoughts and biases into it. Russell is good with ancient philosophy (I think he gets Plato wrong, mind, but he's good with Aristotle) and Medieval philosophy (even if I'm slightly irritated he didn't give Dante his own section - De Monarchia is worth a chapter on it) but when it comes to the moderns he's nowhere near as good. In places he's just inaccurate, and overly opinionated. He flat out did not understand Nietzsche. Given the time he wrote it, yes, I'd say that's understandable - and that is another thing to keep in mind too. It's an old text now, it was written in the 1940s.

There is a 'New History of Western Philosophy' by Anthony Kenny. I've not read it but heard it's pretty good.

There is also 'History of Philosophy Without any Gaps' which is both a series of books and a podcast being released right now that is honestly far more comprehensive and more interesting. Buying all the volumes is a serious money commitment, but the podcast is free and I really recommend it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    EFMingo and Poziga like this.
  5. Poziga

I remember hearing about Russell's book that it might be outdated (and quite difficult).

This series you mentioned looks interesting, I'll look into it. I saw there are five books thus far. No Asian yet, do you maybe know if the series is done or are there still books to be published?

6. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Xoic, Poziga, EFMingo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I never found Russell's book difficult - just a bit boring in places to be honest.

History of Philosophy without Gaps are releasing books with the podcast more or less, having covered African philosophy just recently the book of that season is out now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Poziga likes this.
  8. Poziga

@Lemex there is one review on Goodreads that says (at least the first one) History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is “way way better than the podcast”. So it might be worth checking it out!