Phobias

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Only if you so decide. If you approach life with anticipation and wonder, life is amazing.

Bad things happen, but so do good things. Which you put the main focus upon makes all the difference.

This I believe wholeheartedly.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

and pain is why they came up with positive thinking :)

No matter what happens in life, something good will always came along to brighten your day :)

Wonder and amazement can come from many places. A tiny seed that grows into a mighty tree, or the first step of a young infant. Positive thoughts are out there in great numbers, and negative vibes are nothing more than a grain of sand that blows away with the breeze.

3. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I'm hopelessly negative with regard to everything...

Here's a question: Are phobias something that you're like born with and develop or are they sort of a result of nurture? Like spiders or something...

4. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I fear man- made hights. I don't trust them. We have this tower- look out tower thing in the Timber Park at our towna nd man that thing creaked like crazy whenever I went up it. And I was a lot skinner and younger back then. I don't think anyone is allowed up there anymore. But yeah. Man-made hights. I have that fear where I get tight in the face and also those rides at teh show/fair where you have a tiny chair attached to chains and you get spun around in a massive circle??? I hate those ones to. I love my best friend so much I went on one. Just for her. Never again.

5. Torana

I love heights and got banned from those rides cause they bored me and I began to fall asleep I was that relaxed by them...oops my bad :p

6. Torana

I hope one day you aren't Kit :)

And phobias I don't think we are born with. I am fairly certain that they are something that generate from our friends and families fears or through bad experiences mainly. Some through things we see on tv give us phobias other through images or events.

But I can't be certain.

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Depends on if you believe in reencarnation. Some people say that you have certain fears that are carried over into this life from the previous life. When I was a kid I hated having water on my face. It terrified me. I don't know why. I'm ok with it now but yeah... ya never know.

8. Torana

I have that problem now actually. Major fear of water splashing on my face. I couldn't even stand having a shower till I was 18. I always had baths. But that developed from when I was young and almost drowing.

9. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

drowing?? or do you mean drowning?

10. Cogito

Nope, drowing - rashly annoying dark arachnoid elves.

11. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

hahahahhhaaa roflmao

12. Torana

lol well excuse my bad spelling from lastnight. I was over excited about watching Saw IV. lol

I meant drowning :p

13. bamXkasey

bamXkasey New Member

I am extremely afraid of ducks, cows, clowns, and peanut butter.
    ._o
    strange i know.

14. Torana

wooooooo another person afraid of clowns here. I don't feel so embarressed now lol

15. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Ophidiophobia! People there is nothing more freaky than a snake! it can move but it doesn't have any legs and that just makes me....ahhhh. just thinkin about it is awful. i know where it comes from though. my friend and i were playing by the river and he picked up a water snake by the tail and tossed it at me. yeah, hell yeah i passed out. im not sure if there's anyone out there who'd calmly say "A snake?Stop it"

16. Torana

Snakes are awesome. I love snakes soooooooooooo much. I always try and get as close as possible to snakes when I see then, just in a safe manner is all.

17. Cogito

I'm cautious with snakes, as I am cautious with any wild animal. Most of them in my area are harmless, although we can get the occasional copperhead or timber rattler (both venomous pit vipers, for those who aren't familiar with USA's snake species), but most snakes around here are harmless and non-aggressive if you don't startle them or corner them. Some of them are truly beautiful, and contrary to what many people think, snakes are not slimy.

18. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Muddy snakes are!

19. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

You what terrifying figure that has that in common with snakes? Missiles. And those things blow up!

20. Cogito

Only if the mud itself is slimy. But unlike worms, slugs and eels, snakes do not produce any sort of slime. Some have a satiny feeling skin, others have rough scales. Most feel smoother if you run your hand toward their tails than if you do so in the opposite direction, which also helps their movement, although their belly plates are their main means of gaining forward traction.

Their circulatory system is not designed to pump blood to any great height, so they do not do well if their head is elevated well above their heart.

They are very interesting creatures, generally worthy of respect rather than fear, even though many species are dangerous.

However, certain areas of the world do have a much greater number of venomous snakes, so I can understand people generally fearing snakes in those areas.

21. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I agree 100%! People are always talking about "Oh my gosh, a rattlesnake could bite me in the dessert!" and go on about how deadly they are. In truth, people are more deadly to any sort of venomous snake then they are to us.

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Whoa whoa. Wait a minute. First I have to worry about snakes in my backyard now their in my cake, pie, and icecream too :eek:?

23. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Lol, give me a break. Damn type-os... :rolleyes:

24. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Typos? You've given me fearasnakeisinmydessertophobia! I passed up free cupcakes today :p!

25. Navy

Navy New Member

I have a huge fear of rejection. Especially with dating, I just cant stand to be rejected. I dont go all pyscho freak stalker though.