1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Phone Tech Question

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by OurJud, Sep 15, 2016.

As I stated in another thread I was looking at downgrading my iPhone to something simple. Anyway, I went ahead and did this and now find I have a rather weird set-up going on.

As the SIM card for the old phone is a regular sized one (compared to iPhone's micro sim) I had to contact my provider and get them to send out the correct one. I was given a number to ring for activation and late in the evening of last night I got my new, old phone up and running. I activated the sim and all seems to be working as it should.

However, I can still use my iPhone for anything that uses WiFi - this includes internet, Whatsapp messages (a group messaging application), Normal text messages (to other iPhones). In short I can still do anything with my iPhone that doesn't require the services of my carrier.

I just tried sending an SMS to a non-iPhone, with my iPhone, and it failed, but I can send normal SMS to iPhones (as they use WiFi to do this)

Does anyone know if this will be the case indefinitely or will my iPhone eventually lock up?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You can use your iPhone indefinitely as a hand-held device and with anything you can do over WiFi. The cell phone carrier is providing access to their mobile network, so you can't do anything that requires that network, including receiving calls over the cell network, etc. But the iPhone is still a small computer with functionality independent of what the cell phone carrier provides, and that stuff will keep working. You should even be able to make calls over WiFi if you have an app to do that. You just can't do anything that requires connection to the cellular network.

OurJud, Wreybies and Komposten like this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

What Steerpike just said. Basically what you now have is an iPod Touch.

OurJud and Steerpike like this.
  4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Coolio! Thanks.