1. saharagrace

saharagrace New Member

physical and emotional story arcs don't match up!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by saharagrace, Nov 27, 2013.

i have a great internal story arc, the MC gradually gains control and freedom, but the physical story is presenting problems- there are two very dramatic events occurring in the last half, without much build up and that don't really coincide with the MC's internal journey . . .the question is, any advice on plot arcs? i think the story isn't tight and lacks momentum :(

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What's the inciting incident? That's a start.

It's hard to comment, because you've not really told us what this is about or anything that actually happens. Who is this MC? Gains control of what, freedom from what? What are the two dramatic incidents? We need more information to comment constructively on your questions.

It might be a plan to seek out specific 'help' books or websites that deal with plot construction. Check out our Resources section, and you might find what you need there.

3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Ah... sounds like someone is having the same problem I do—joining the dots. It could well be that you might have to totally reconsider the emotions and events. There's no good holding on to elements that don't serve. There might well be a lot of rewriting involved but don't allow yourself to become frustrated by it. It's all part of the learning curve. :) Persevere and you'll find a way through it.

4. saharagrace

saharagrace New Member

the main character is a girl who lives a life ignoring the war going on. once she begins to fight in the war she learns secrets about those in charge that empower her and give her confidence, it peaks when she rebels, using this new found power. There are two events first when she completes a 'quest' her way, and second when she refuses to refuses to bow to the authorities and has to leave. . .i was thinking of using the momentum of the first event to make the second even more powerful. . .if that makes sense?

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, that makes total sense. One thing influences another, leads to another. That's excellent.

Where do you plan to start your story (if you haven't started it yet.) What will the girl be doing at the opening of your book?