1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Physical description: Stringy

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by Catrin Lewis, Jul 9, 2019.

If you've got a scrawny middle-aged woman in an outdated (1960s vintage), too-short skirt, could you say her thighs (seen just above the knee) were stringy? Especially if you, as the POV, had a negative opinion of her?

What impression would that adjective give you, if any?

2. Gary Wed

Gary Wed Active Member

I'm not too sure about the word, stringy. The metaphor makes me think the legs are limp and without bones. That's just a subjective call, on my part, and maybe it fits your viewpoint.

The bigger thing is this word you used, PARTICULARLY. There ain't no particularly about it. The voice of your work (and that would definitely include word choice) is usually a byproduct of the view. The view is the window into the work, and thus it hugely shades the narrative.

Thus, that word STRINGY is one that reflects the mind's eye of the viewpoint. That's a good thing.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Nah, I've seen a woman's figure and thought "stringy." It's just not an anthropomorphic term in my lexicon. Scrawny would be my go to there. And I know exactly what you're describing there... the lack of upper leg definition. Usually leads to a deficit of ass.

SethLoki likes this.
  4. AndieBoDandy

AndieBoDandy Active Member

Bony?

5. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Twigs

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Lanky?

7. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

I can see "stringy" describing someone's overall figure, but for a specific body part it feels strange. Twiggy/bony/lanky feel better.

8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm not a fan of the word stringy in the example you laid out. I think there are probably better word choices to get your point across as some have mentioned here. But stringy paints a bit of a different picture or just not as clear of a picture as some other choices would.