1. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

Keeping it in the family.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Flamenco1, Jan 19, 2021.

I’ve just got my first novel underway. I have a plot and characters all mapped out, a few proto-type scenes written, and at last got down my first (many times revised) 2000 words of a potentially serious chapter.

I sent it to my brother and asked him to have a look. He came back with a detailed review of what he saw as grammar issues, some corrections to historical details, and information on drug usage in 1946. We then had a chat and came up with some additional ideas.

We don’t have a lot in common and often argue, but this whole interchange worked really well and was very productive. To be honest I’ve always known that he has a good memory for historical details but I was surprised by his grammar skills.

So we will work together on this until we fall out :D

Just wondered if any others “keep it in the family” or write in a collaborative way. Any thoughts very welcome.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Mullanphy and J.T. Woody like this.
  2. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I use my sister as a beta-reader, she and I have always enjoyed the same kind of books, so it stands to reason that she'd enjoy the style I'm writing. And she's got a good eye for proof-reading. I've had several long phone calls with her, brainstorming ideas and what works and doesn't work in my plot.

Flamenco1 and J.T. Woody like this.
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I envy you.

my siblings SAY they'll read my stuff, but when i send it to them they "forget" or ignore it. but then again, they were never really interested to begin with. My sister is good for bouncing ideas off of ("does this make sense?" "i wrote this, but it sounds weird to me, what do you think" kind of stuff).
    my dad is just now starting to become interested in my writing, since i had my first paid publication last year. now he calls and asks if I've written anything else and if i want him to read something. I havent let him read my longer works. my novel is SF/F but my short works arent as heavy on the SF/F aspects as my longer ones, so i'll stick to letting him read my short stuff for now.

Flamenco1 likes this.
  4. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Currently Reading::
    The Shining / Carrie by Stephen King
    None of my close family value reading quite as much but I send my niece bits of prose or poems, or try to bounce stories ideas back and forth. Besides her, I have one work friend who is interested in my writing. He is the only person I've met in my day-to-day life who shares these passions.

Flamenco1 likes this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've found family to be useless in the beta read department. Complete strangers on the Internet (like all you jokers) have worked out much better for me. One of those things where you can't trust anyone who has a dog in the fight. And objectivity is the first casualty of familiarity in my opinion.

6. Mullanphy

Mullanphy Banned

No matter how often I state, insinuate, or imply that I am looking for beta reading, my bride insists on grabbing a pen before accepting any manuscript. She is a smart, articulate, thoughtful, wonderful woman, but for whatever reason, does not understand the concept of read and tell me what you think. So, she's out. However, a distant cousin has been an invaluable beta reader for several pieces.

I wonder if family/friends, for the most part, feel they might hurt your feelings so work hard at avoiding that.