picking a pen name

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by makdadsb, Feb 21, 2010.

1. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

:p Arthur Rider

2. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

I'm sure I read somewhere of a writer whose agent suggested her pen name when they negotiated a big deal. So, perhaps the agent has the biggest say.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Arthur Deauzent (The last "t" is silent)

tonguetied likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I discussed my second pen name with my agent, but the author always has the "biggest say" on everything - agents can offer advice, but they aren't our bosses. If an author doesn't agree with something, then the something shouldn't happen.

5. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Good to hear that BV

6. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I was looking up techniques once on how to choose a pen name. And I saw something interesting... I lost the website or I'd share. :p

Choose your last name based on how you'll place in the alphabet. If you're going for something online, have your last name start with A to show up sooner on the list. Or if you're going for a bookstore, have your last name start with the same later as a great writer of your genre. That way, if people go to browse for their books, they'll accidentally stumble upon yours.

For example: if you write horror and really admire Stephen King, have your pen name be John Kindred. Then when readers go to the bookstore to look for new King books, they'll be more likely to stumble upon John Kindred.

Interesting theory...

Wyr and Komposten like this.
  7. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I'm thinking about using Aleishia Jeffrey, which would be a form of my middle and married names. Or something similar to Aleishia.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Think of the names in your family? Your moms maiden name, your grandmothers maiden name...heck you can even used first names. For instance if you late grandfathers first name was Henry then you can go with A.J. Henry. If I were to pick a pen name I would want it to be something that was personal to me in some way.

9. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 New Member

Do you use a pseudonym?
    (A pen name)

Strangely enough, some people have no other choice for reasons that are out of their control.
    I, like Winston Churchill share our names with people that already have their own work published.
    He was not just a Prime Minister. He was also a published writer.

If you google my name there's a published writer by the same name.

However Churchill wrote to his name sake...

"Mr. Winston Churchill presents his compliments to Mr. Winston Churchill, and begs to draw his attention to a matter which concerns them both.

"He has learnt from the Press notices that Mr. Winston Churchill proposes to bring out another novel, entitledRichard Carvel , which is certain to have a considerable sale both in England and America.
    "Mr. Winston Churchill is also the author of a novel now being published in serial form in Macmillan's Magazine, and for which he anticipates some sale both in England and America.

"He also proposes to publish on the 1st of October another military chronicle on the Sudan War. He has no doubt that Mr. Winston Churchill will recognise from this letter -- if indeed by no other means -- that there is grave danger of his works being mistaken for those of Mr. Winston Churchill. He feels sure that Mr. Winston Churchill desires this as little as he does himself.

"In future to avoid mistakes as far as possible, Mr. Winston Churchill has decided to sign all published articles, stories, or other works, 'Winston Spencer Churchill,' and not 'Winston Churchill' as formerly.

"He trusts that this arrangement will commend itself to Mr. Winston Churchill, and he ventures to suggest, with a view to preventing further confusion which may arise out of this extraordinary coincidence, that both Mr. Winston Churchill and Mr. Winston Churchill should insert a short note in their respective publications explaining to the public which are the works of Mr. Winston Churchill and which those of Mr. Winston Churchill. The text of this note might form a subject for future discussion if Mr. Winston Churchill agrees with Mr. Winston Churchill's proposition.

"He takes this occasion of complimenting Mr. Winston Churchill upon the style and success of his works, which are always brought to his notice whether in magazine or book form, and he trusts that Mr. Winston Churchill has derived equal pleasure from any work of his that may have attracted his attention."

He received a reply from Mr. Churchill too. Here is the link...
    What happened when Winston Churchill wrote a letter... to Winston Churchill

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I self publish under Edi Marchen. That's not my name. I also frequent the writing sites under Peachalulu and a couple of other names.

The reason I don't use my real name is my first name is the same as a romance author and my last name is the same as another romance author - put together, I sound like a romance author. Lol. It's a pretty name but unfortunately I don't write romance.
    You could try using initials, or use your middle name or make up an acronym. Vladimir Nabokov used them in his novels - the one I recall the most was Vivian Darkbloom.

Michaelhall2007 likes this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Oscar Leigh is my standard pen name. I don't know if I'll use it when publishing books, we'll have to see. :superthink:

12. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I use a pen name. I'm the only [Real Name] in the world so it seemed prudent to separate my personal and author profiles on the web. Otherwise it would be too easy for someone from one world to find out everything about the other.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Tea@3 and Michaelhall2007 like this.
  13. Michaelhall2007

Unfortunately the other author goes by Michael R. Hall
    My middle names Robert D'oh
    That's what I used on my 1st attempt at literature.
    M. R. Hall looks too much like Mr. Hall
    Michael Hall feels too much like the 1st one.
    However, even though I've known this for about 5 years, I have never thought what I'd call myself if I did get something published.

14. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

M. R. D'oh Hall is quite unique?

15. Michaelhall2007

I should call myself Aberdeen Angus because then I would be top of the list if they give awards out alphabetically.

"And this year's award for being at the start of every bookshelf goes to..."

16. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I read someone where using a pseudonym with a last name that starts with A will keep you at the start of book lists and on the top of book shelves.

Sundowner and Michaelhall2007 like this.
  17. BayView

I don't see anything by Michael R. Hall on Amazon - is he a currently active author?

Oh, wait, there are two nonfiction books about Haiti - are those the ones you mean?

I wouldn't worry about getting confused with him, unless you're also writing about Haiti, or something really similar.

But I also wouldn't worry about using a pseudonym, if you prefer. I have a few I jump between (Kate Sherwood, Cate Cameron, and at least one more that isn't really active) and it's not an issue.

18. Michaelhall2007

Aberdeen Angus it is then (hahaha)

19. Michaelhall2007

I just asked Google "Books by Michael R. Hall" and she named 2 then said and others. He's wrote historical fiction.

At the moment I'm working on a historical scientific fiction novel.

It works both ways, remember. I don't want him being credited with my work when it's published.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  20. BayView

In this day and age with all the self-publishing, there are a lot of people using a lot of names - I don't think you have to avoid someone else's name unless they're selling quite a few books, with this guy doesn't seem to be.

I mean, again, there's nothing wrong with using a pseudonym. But if you were really dedicated to the idea of publishing under your own name, I don't think there's any reason not to, based on this guy's writing. (I'm actually guessing there are already TWO Michael R. Halls, unless the Haiti guy and the Ohio guy are the same person).

21. Michaelhall2007

I wouldn't want him to get credit for my work through:)

22. BayView

If you publish under a different name, someone else might come along the day after and start using it. There isn't much protection for this sort of thing.

23. Michaelhall2007

I could go anonymous and use the name I like to give the police when they ask.
    PC: "Name please sir"
    Me: "My names Nonya"
    PC: "Nonya what?"
    Me: "Nonya Business"

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Well, the police are entitled to your identity as it is need in legal procedures.

25. Michaelhall2007

Next you'll be telling me I have to tell them about the dead body in the boot (or trunk to all you U.S. folk). ;)

Sifunkle, Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.