picking a pen name

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by makdadsb, Feb 21, 2010.

1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

I like to write different genres of fiction. Plus, I will be working on non-fiction too.

So, is it okay to use ONE name or is it best to come up with pen names?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no 'okay' that works for everyone and no 'best'!

there's only what works for you... many famous writers used more than one pen name before they became famous and some still do...

3. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Depends on the genre. I started out using pen names for different kinds of books, but it became too much of a pain; now I'd only use them for erotica/romance/everything else.

Of course, if you're trade published, the publisher might want you to use a pen name even for similar genres.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You could use pen names, but if you're successful, you might wind up like Stephen King, with reprints of his Richard Bachman books coming out under his real name.

I think, these days, it doesn't really matter all that much. Genres are getting blended. Besides, if I like a writer's science fiction, I'll probably like his Westerns, too. I'd stick with the same name, no matter what genre I'm working in.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It comes down to why you choose to use a nom de plume to begin with. Maybe you are writing steamy romance novels and don;t want that to "taint" your "serious" writing. And perhaps you are a woman writing in a genre that female authors are discriminated against (not much of an issue these days). So you use as many pseudonyms as you need to meet your purposes.

Myself, I couldn't be sussed.

6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

If the difference is obvious, westerns to science fiction, then it really doesn't matter.

If the difference is subtle but important, detective/mystery to psychic detective who believes in ghosts, then maybe.

If the change is to or even away from hard core sex, then almost certainly.

7. The95Writer

This doesn't relate to my book writing and such, but I am wondering, for reasons of identity safety and tracking - should I use a pen name for my blog instead of my real name?

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you want to use one, use one. If not, then don't. Only you can make that decision. ;)

JetBlackGT likes this.
  9. mammamaia

it's more a matter of personal choice, than safety, since real names can be discovered even if you use a nom de plume...

10. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala New Member

Yes, you should use a pseudonym. You should wear a tin-foil hat too.

11. The95Writer

Pardon?

12. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

It's not a defence against being identified by someone who is really looking, but it does prevent your "real" name from being widely associated in the public mind with whatever goes on in your blog.

So, much depends on whether you want your blog articles to be commonly known as something you did or not. With a pseudonym, ten years from now no one is going to come across something you wrote and immediately associate it with the world famous person you have become.

13. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

If the blog is about your writing and you use a pseudonym for your writing, it would make sense to use one for the blog, too. A blog can become a great way to promote your work. Having a different name might confuse your readers. (Unless you have multiple pseudonyms.)

14. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

But, now that I reread your OP, I don't think it matters unless the blog is about something controversial.

15. Caramello Koala

matwoolf likes this.
  16. mammamaia

making fun of a poster for asking a question is both impolite and against site policy, caramello...

The95Writer likes this.
  17. Caramello Koala

I wasn't making fun of the poster, it was a light tongue in cheek joke. There's a difference between making fun of a poster and making a playful joke. But if I offended the OP in any way he can say so and I will apologise. Where's the sense of humour in this place?

18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

When you make a joke that one person finds confusing and another finds insulting, it's generally best to assume that your sense of humor was off-key in the moment that you wrote the joke, rather than insult everyone else's.

19. Caramello Koala

Ok, thanks for the advice. My attempt at humour fell short of the mark and I apologise.

20. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

On topic, I'm going to go against the grain and say, "No. Never use a nom-de-plume for your blog."

Why?

You should certainly have a separate online presence for your private life (facebook/twitter/youtube/google) but your public persona benefits from exposure. Having books published under a different name from your blog defeats the potential connection between them, and thus the potential fans/customers. But to do this you'll need to consider carefully what you say and what kind of persona you are projecting publicly.

Why close a door to potential readers? Use your blog to drive book buyers. Use your books to drive traffic to your blog. Win-win.

21. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

It depends on how comfortable you are with stalkers. :)

22. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I don't want anybody knowing I write the stuff on my blog, or that I am a very attractive woman. [huge naked, obese man laughs uncontrollably, has seizure, wets the bean bag]

I know he was naughty with the 'tin hat'...and the joke is old hat, ha and probly a received gag no doubt, but I do fancy making one, with a p mache base and a little aerial for reception. I shall make it a siyense project for my students.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  23. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

In college, I decided to not write anything I wouldn't sign my name to. However, here we all are with avatars and screen names. :)

TDFuhringer likes this.
  24. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Good point. Which is why my screen name and avatar here are actually me :)

25. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I think it's an awesome idea to use your actual name for a 'innocent' blog; we're talking no political opinions or strange fiction pieces, and a general positive written attitude and content that is useful gets to the point. For example, blog about how you modified your air conditioner to fit into a smaller window, or your hunt for a good word processor that lists pros and cons of different software. Try to avoid blogging about how the letters in Obama's name can be rearranged to spell 'AROMA' (SNL skit) or how much of a jerk your ex is. A solid blog can do wonders for your reputation, and help promote your book.

If you really feel the need to post your theory of left/right politic's obvious friendship with Satan, and Game of Thrones fanfic that contains highly improbable, inappropriate interactions between Catelyn and Circei:love: then go ahead and have a 'night' blog under a different name where you can talk about what you want.

In short, my answer is both. Though the latter is going to be less useful for you in the long run, unless your grittier content really has mass appeal.