1. Aletheia

Aletheia New Member

Skill Set for Assisting in a Rescue

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Aletheia, May 28, 2016.

I'm writing a story where the main character is embarking on a journey to save someone who has been kidnapped, but has been instructed to not contact the authorities. She meets three characters along the way, who all offer their assistance and try to convince her that they can help her on the rescue mission. I already have two of the three characters background/skill set planned out, but I'm stuck on the third. I can't come up with anything equally convincing.

So I'm turning to you all for some fresh ideas. Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

2. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

A brain, a heart, or courage?

3. Copypasta

Copypasta Member

Maybe it'd help if you told us the other two's bg/skill sets so we can find something to off-set it?

Sapphire at Dawn likes this.
  4. Sapphire at Dawn

Sapphire at Dawn Member

Do you mean in general, like being courageous, or more specific, like being a paramedic. I agree with Copypasta, it'd be helpful to have the two you do know about so we know what sort of thing you're after. Plus what sort of world your story takes place in. A paramedic wouldn't be out of place in the modern day but the job is unlikely to exist in a medieval type fantasy world.

5. misteralcala

misteralcala Member

People with military / law enforcement backgrounds would be the most likely to set out to free a kidnap victim. They are used to running toward danger while others run away. They have been tested under real life or death situations and know how to keep cool under pressure. The skills I would assign them:

1. One is an ex-criminal who is sympathetic with the protagonist's situation and could call upon shady underworld connections to help find the kidnappers.
    2. Two is an ex-Policeman who does freelance detective work.
    3. Three is a military veteran that was a combat medic and works as a nurse, veterinarian, care giver or some other similar field.

6. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Where will they be going to rescue the person? Is it an urban setting, or wilderness?

If wilderness, I'd say a park ranger, or whatever they call those guys who check all the paths and trails in national parks for safety. Blazers?

If urban, I would say a unsavory character with a heart of gold.

7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I was typing a response before I saw misteralcala's post. That's exactly what I was going to say.

8. Buttered Toast

Buttered Toast Active Member

What about the skill of talking, yeah he could have a weapon that helps but he doesn't need one if he is able to talk his way out of anything lol ;)
    And then you could make him or her really cocky and extra talkative?
    And if it's a fantasy skill then that could be his power?