1. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Brainstorm this!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ellsbeth, Jun 19, 2013.

The basic run down.

A painter travels to a far away country. He knows little about the place but is being paid big money to go there and paint a very disturbing portrait of a tyrant. The tyrant has an object for him to include in the portrait. The painter saw this object up close and personal when entering the place.

the first chapter begins with the painter putting the final touches on his work of art. The portrait of the tyrant. He has included the object in the painting.

It then goes on to describe the man in the portrait and the horrific object.

There is a woman in the land, She wears a long black garb that covers her completely and a wide brimmed black hat, a thick veil drapes over the veil. No one has ever seen her.

The painter is about to be asked if he will stay and paint a portrait of the woman.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now here is where I'm stuck:
    1. He fears the tyrant and the tyrants capabilities, why does he stay after he is finished the portrait.
    2. The veiled woman who has hidden from the world her entire life suddenly wants to be seen. She has never spoken to the painter before, why would she suddenly trust him to see her let a lone paint her?

The second paragraph explains in detail this horrible object that has made many men turn away in fear.
    3. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can pull back from this and continue onwards to the woman having a portrait painted?

Im not asking anyone to do the work for me I have to keep it my own but i'm hoping any answers you can give will jolt some inspiration into this wrung out brain.

Thank you to all who answer!

help me WF your my only hope!

2. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Also it is likely that this thread may be in the wrong place and apologies....

3. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

The man in the painting is Henry VIII. The unspeakable image is a polycephallic baby with two heads and a male torso. The woman in black is the unspoken of actual third wife of Hank.8. He loved his two headed baby and thought it was the beginning of a new master race of Hanks. Sir Thomas More told Hank.8 to keep it a secret and that is the real reason Tom was killed

4. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Garball I like that idea you should write it.

also id really appreciate any input people can give me.

5. huntsman40

huntsman40 Active Member

Firstly trying to help without knowing what this object is will be difficult, as it could well be a very crucial point. In fact I'd be surprised if it's not considering the fact you've ommited saying what it is. However, I'll try for some answers, but obviously for all I know the object could be the womans face and make this all pointless.

1. Simple – fear, greed or curiosity. Fear if he is threatened and told to stay by your dictator, greed because he is offered more money or curiosity over the woman in black.

2. Perhaps she doesn't trust him. Sometimes sharing with a stranger is easier than someone you know. Or if you need her to trust him then you'd have to give them some reason. As you have little time for true trust to be built it would have to be some act of extreme kindness, or for her to know him in some way already.

3. Not while you are refusing to give up what the object is. All ideas based off no knowledge of the item would be largely a waste of our time.

Oh, and stop plagiarizing George Lucas in your posts. :p

6. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

haha thanks huntsman.
    I know its all very vague but I like to keep my cards close to my chest with this one.

1. Since posting this i've been doing my own brainstorming as well and the fear greed and curiosity came through for me also. Ive thought as well that he would probably be attracted to the potential fame of it. Being the only man alive to paint this infamous Tyrant.- what do you think about that one?

2. You've hit the nail on the head with this one too it seems that would be the most logical answer. Ive considered making her a hermit of sorts that lives in a cave in the forest, people think she is a spirit haunting the place and offer her 'sacrifices' to stop her eating their children (even though she really wouldn't do that but plays the role because the sacrifices are feeding her.)

as for this object, lets pretend that the mc stumbles across one of the Gas chambers used by Hitler the victims are still inside. it is the closest thing I can think of.

I value your feedback on this it is very helpful having someone to bounce off. My partner dosnt understand this concept and replies 'I don't know sounds good' to everything I talk about. And then looks confused.

Poor Mr Lucas haha

7. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Hitler had a favourite sculptor - Arno Breker, who crafted many of the Third Reich's statuesk pieces. His motives for doing so appear mainly to be realted to actually being able to produce public works. The patronage to an artist was invaluable. Sometimes the motivation may be as simple as that. To paint what you don't really want to paint in order to be able to paint at all.

Cheers, Greg.

8. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

psychotick Thanks for that im going to look into it now :)

9. Erasmus B. Dragon

Erasmus B. Dragon New Member

An interesting puzzle. I would say the answer must lay within the art. They may not have spoken, but art itself is a form of communication.

10. huntsman40

huntsman40 Active Member

Yes, he could of course do it for fame or similar notoriety, but this comes under you knowing your character. If you don't know if he would do it for fame then you need to work more on who he is. So while seeking fame might be a possible reason it would only be one if he has the type of personality that seeks fame and its trappings, and normally they are pretty shallow and selfish people.
    Okay, if this is the case then take it out as a factor totally. Short of it being something that puts him in fear for his life there is no reason he may not still do the job. Of course he may be concerned that he will be seen to be supportive of this man by working for him in such a way. Journalists and photographers go into war zones and interview or photograph many horrible people, and often in situations where they life is in danger. It doesn't mean that these people don't do their job, and so there is no reason something this man has done would mean he wouldn't do a painting of him, but it should have some effect on your MC certainly.

11. Ellsbeth

Ellsbeth New Member

Thankyou to everyone who has posted here. It has helped a great deal :) I love how you have all brought it back to life situations and emotion as well. It fits perfectly with the direction I want to take this. You are all very insightful people.

12. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

1. Maybe the painter is fascinated with the tyrant, being so close and spending so much time (cant imagine it being a quick process) he is almost entranced by the tyrants darkness and evil, alot different from his (im assuming!) normal, quiet life, and wants to know more.

2. She has hidden from the world and 'normal' social interraction but seeing the painting, unknown to others, art speaks to her. She may not have spoken to the artist but feels he is almost communicating to her through his art work. Maybe he sketches, as artists do, when not painting (because a Tyrant would no doubt be busy killing and plotting and what-not) and it slowly draws her in to want to get close to the painter.

3. Im personally interested what this object is exactly that turns men away in fear. But because I dont, I can't really answer the question. I understand you want to play with cards close to the chest but I cant really suggest how you would pull back from something I have not a smidgen of idea about, so this question was too difficult to answer.

The story sounds interesting and would like to read it myself. Of course these are just my opinions and can be sent straight to the rubbish bin but I hope these could help in some way. All the best Ellsbeth and keep writing.

13. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Just two quick thoughts. First the object no one wants to look at - it strikes me that if we stick with the Hitler theme the gold teeth from the victims sent to the concentration camps would qualify.

And some more as to why an artist would paint. Unworthy of the Angel by Stephen Donaldson, a story within the anthology Daughter of the Regals, includes among other things a sculpture modelling his own nightmares, but doing it for success after years of failing to get even an exhibition. Give it a read.

Cheers, Greg.

14. AshleyFinn

AshleyFinn New Member

1. How about something real simple like weather or his mode of transportation is damaged.
    2. Curiosity. Maybe have her begin watching him while he's painting the tyrant. She could become infatuated from his talent.
    3. When thinking of something horrific, the only thing I think of right now is a child's skull. Why would he carry that around?