Planning for Pregnancy - advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carmina, Nov 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

This is what I've wanted to say since I read this thread but was a little afraid to post. I feel that Steve is wise to factor in finances, but it seems like he's only doing that in order to put up another hurdle.

You've got plenty of time to have a child, 'Mina (my parents were 31 and 30 when they had me). Having a child any earlier just seems... strange (to me). So if it's your clock you're worried about, please... just try not to be? And as for money --it's probably wise to save up; babies are expensive, but it's manageable. And you'll never have "enough." No one does.

Bottom line, you've got to call him out on all this aversion he's got carrying on. From what you've said about your husband, it seems like he's always got some sort of reason for putting things off, and my best conclusion I can draw without actually knowing him (or you, not really) is that he's scared.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as for age, after being preggers for the 5th time in a row at 24, i had #6 at 34, #7 at nearly 40, so you don't have to be in such an all-fired hurry... oh, and one of my aunts had her last at 53! [both she and cousin lucy were totally healthy, no probs whatsoever]

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Maia, you must be one of the most fertile women I've known.

I've always thought it was amazing that some women can have child after child after child, and yet with some women it'll still take them 7 years to have a baby, even when there's nothing physically wrong with them to say that getting pregnant would be difficult.

4. mammamaia

funny thing is, when i was popping them out annually, folks would ask if i was catholic, or crazy, and i was actually an ex-catholic!

the problem was, not only was i uber-fertile, but it turned out my husband had doubled sperm ducts, so i hadn't a prayer, since the first three were pre-pill and by the time it was available, no doctor would let me take it, because i had terminal varicose veins from being pg for 3 years!

the last 2 of the first 5 were due to the best other methods being only 98% effective, and me being one of the unlucky 2% they failed on, despite being religious in 'being careful'... and the last 2 of the 7 were in a second marriage, when abortion wasn't a preferable option for me... so, i wasn't a sex maniac, or a good catholic... just 'lucky' at being unlucky!

5. Ashleigh

^ Lolol that's quite a story. Thank god you weren't the kind to give up on your kids, otherwise there would have been trouble 7x over hah.

Although atleast yours were separate pregnancies over time...unlike the woman on TV who just had octuplets, and already had 6 kids at home...eeesssh.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The one, the only, OCTOMOM (TM)

(really, she tried to trademark it so she could profit from its use)

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

If I had that many kiddos, I would.

8. Ashleigh

I almost admired her until I learnt that she was gonna make them into 8 little money-spinners.

Although it'd be interesting to see how they grew up...I suppose that's the point.

9. Cogito

Oh yeah, she's a real piece of work.

10. LibraLass

LibraLass New Member

I haven't read all the responses, so I might just be repeating someone else. There were just a couple points I want to make.

First, that it certainly seems like your husband keeps changing the terms of the deal which is not quite fair. Is it the shaky economy that has him spooked? I would also want him to define a 'comfortable' amount. It takes a couple of months for the effects of the pill to wear off and 9 more to incubate, so isn't it possible you could both get your way? You get to start trying and he has upwards of a year to create that nest egg. Seems reasonable

Second, I remember precisely how obsessed I became with getting pregnant once my husband brought the subject up. I thought of nothing else until the baby was born. I analyzed every ache, pain, and twinge trying to determine when I might be ovulating. Once baby fever entered the picture, I ceased to think rationally. My caution to you is to try not to let that ticking clock drown out valid points your husband may be trying to make. I'm not saying you should have to wait, and I'm not saying that he's right--just that it'll be best if you can keep the emotional "I want a baby" element out of further negotiations because it will not be helpful.

Best of luck to you!

Oh...and don't get too wrapped up about how old you are when you have the baby--children keep you young and active, so you'll have more than enough energy for them!

11. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

IMO - the doctor who artificially inseminated octo-creep should lose his license to practice medicine.

12. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I agree about Octomom...she is not mentally stable

13. Cogito

Agreed. I believe he is being investigated for exactly that purpose. Unfortunately, the guidelines are fuzzy enough that there might not be legal grounds to do that.

14. mammamaia

let's not highjack the thread, kids, since the op is facing a very real, very serious dilemma that needs to be treated seriously...

motherly hugs, m

15. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I am coming to terms with having to wait. My sister is about ready to pop our a niece for me. I am not sure if it will be a nice time me over or if it will just serve to remind me what I am waiting for. But, at least someone is having a kid.