1. cretinhop

cretinhop New Member

Dramaticism?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by cretinhop, May 29, 2011.

I was recently reviewing the various scenes I've been writing for a short story, which are not quite connected, but just sort of a warm up. I'm sort of making a puzzle out of it... Well, anyway. I noticed that the voice in this story is just so... Dramatic. Like, really, terribly, unbelievably, is-this-a-soap-opera? dramatic. Even in the notes I've written before it, though, I noticed the story had an impossibly melodramatic tone to it that I just can't seem to shake. I don't always write supremely melodramatic, and, in fact, another story I'm writing doesn't have that tone at all. What does it mean? I don't want it to sound this way so I'm considering letting it lie for a while and returning it later.

Also, has this ever happened to anyone else (probably)?

2. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Yes - I've go some much writing like that - mostly attributed to the fact I was a teenager! Oh the meloncholy woe, everything is uber important when your young.

I think that the narrative voice, has to, in some way be dramatic, after all if it was so much like real life people wouldn't want to read it. I'd say leave it alone for a little bit - but return. After all you might find that you really quite enjoy it. Writing in different styles is part of the fun of being a writer.