1. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Plastic Pencils?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Frostcat, Mar 25, 2011.

I've been looking for an almost mythical pencil, from my youth. The wood was very smooth, most likely a plastic or very particular kind of wood.

In a regular pencil, where the graphite meets the wood, you can clearly see it's composition. The wood is grainy and angled. The pencil I'm thinking of did not have this at all. It just thinned out until it was suddenly graphite. There were no odd grains of wood.

I recall it being ultra smooth to sharpen, as well; Very little grittiness in the cutting.

If anyone knows what these pencils were called, what the material is or where I can find them, I'd be greatly appreciative. (Or, perhaps, explain why I can no longer find them!)

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I think I know the type of pencil you mean. Corr, I love stationery, and those pencils are rather nice. If I'm right in believing I know what you mean, they are also very smooth to hold.

They must be around somewhere. Have you tried all stationery shops? Looked online?

3. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Sounds like a high end sketch pencil, might want to check the pencil section at art supply
    stores.

4. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I hate those pencils. No idea what they are called, I purged them from my collective memories.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I prefer mechanical pencils ...

6. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Hrm, I haven't tried the stationary shops, no. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to describe the pencil in short enough words that the internet isn't completely confused.

It's incredibly unfortunate that I can't find them on the internet, I'd order a years supply at once! The gritty woody feel of regular pencils has always bothered me. The grit gives me the willies!

If I find them, I'll shoot you a PM to let you know!

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I hope you find them. I think I'll be procrastinating in stationery shops looking for them myself.

Haha, yeah, I didn't mind the gritty wood but I did really like holding smooth pencils. They are nice to hold, and stroke (does that sound weird? :p).

8. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

I hated them as well. To me the graphite always wrote dully...even when sharpened.

9. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

10. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Sounds like tichonderoga (not sure if that's the exact spelling.) I haven't tried them since non-mechanicals drive me buggy.

HB corresponds to #2 in art pencils.

Or you might want to look into a lead holder with a special sharpener that points the lead.

Check the drafting section in any case.

11. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Update:

I spent some time talking with one of my friends. One of the main selling points of these pencils was that they broke clean. If you broke one in half, it was a flat break (rough, but 'flat'). This is in comparison to the typical wooden pencil that will shatter or fracture along the pencil, leaving long sharp pieces.

12. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Yep, those are the ones I hated. Look for cheap pencils; I always had cheapos and those things were often in my backpack.

13. art

art Contributor Contributor

^
    Yeah, you seem to be describing the sort of pencil I used to hate too...more crayon than pencil, and no great sharpness or clarity to the drawn line.

Entirely justified in being picky about these things though. As a rule, I go with a high quality B: better for shading when doodling. I am deeply suspicious of those who choose an H or 2H for general use.

14. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Hm, it never seemed terribly waxy. I couldn't pick it apart with my fingers, for example. Well, no more so than I could a regular pencil. The graphite was very soft, however, I'll give you that. I don't like the very sharp hard pencils however. I tend to put my writing tools in my mouth and poke myself with them when I'm thinking. Sharper things tend to, well, hurt.

15. art

My sister has a craft shop. She'll either sell them, or know of them..I shall enquire next week. For the student struggling in an exam, sharp pencils have, of course, long been a respectable means of dispatching all difficulties..

16. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Oh, thank you much. I can't really explain it, I just have a love affair with the smoothness, I suppose.

17. art

Pencil Update:

She sells no such pencils and couldn't recall selling such pencils. I did examine - with some thoroughness - the pencils she does have and will say that pencils which are not fully blown watercolour pencils but which are heading in that direction have something of the character of the pencils you're after....which is to say they are terrible for everyday use.;)

18. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

By sheer chance I happened to read this thread this morning, and then my D&D group came around, and I was handed a plastic pencil -- recycled from plastic cups -- that very much reminded me of this thread. It even has a web address on the side. :D

Hope this is what you were looking for, or close enough. :D I know the type of pencil you mean - I think this one may be a little more plasticy, but it's very much in the same order.

19. OrangeInAir

OrangeInAir Member

Yes...I hate those..terrible for trying to fill in those tiny round dots on tests...I can never get them dark enough...(to my satisfaction)